Buying new car and getting warranty service

kickingfrog

Like irishfield said it has to be honour by any dealership, I bought my 2011 nissan from closer to home but didnt like the way they do things so I brought my altima to other nissan... as I have free oilchange for a yr because I bought a warranty... and still accomodate me...

If buying in Canada you're fine. If buying from the US and importing it in, it depends on the manufacturer -- some do, some don't, and some will reimburse you after you pay for work to be done at their cdn dealerships.

Not sure about extended warranties.

In response to your other thread - carcostcanada, get the invoice price and offer a fair # above it. If buying japanese (esp not a mainstream model) expect less haggle room...many of them are running short on supplies.

In response to your other thread - carcostcanada, get the invoice price and offer a fair # above it. If buying japanese (esp not a mainstream model) expect less haggle room...many of them are running short on supplies.

Exactly my problem with the one brand we are considering. To top it off, what I want is a little hard to come by anyway. :wallbash:

If you buy a vehicle in Canada, you are likely to get it serviced or warranty repairs done all over North America. If the vehicle is bought in the U.S. and brought to Canada, it depends on the manufacturer. Dodge, for instance, doesn't honour any warranty in Canada for U.S. bought vehicles - and personal experience dictates you will need the warranty with their trucks.

Ford and Toyota warranties are good all over North America whether vehicle is bought in U.S. or Canada. Some research on the internet will reveal dealerships in the U.S. that will sell extended warranties for these 2 makes at about a third of Canadian prices.

An OEM (not third party) 7 year, 160,000 km, $0 deductable all inclusive (except wear and tear) extended warranty from Factory Discount Warranty is available to Canadians for $950 US.

http://fd-warranty.com/index.html

It works just fine in Canada - dealer just calls the U.S. 1 800 number. After having been quoted $2,300.00 from the Toyota dealer in Cobourg for the same with "maybe $150.00 off" it's a no brainer to buy in the US.

Edited by blue pickeral

I walk into Ford.. and Rick discounts the vehicle to allow $495 dealer profit. Simple as that and not worth my time to go elsewhere and play mind games.

There are other sources of money for them such as dealer hold backs and sales incentives/volume so they're not exactly hurting even if you pay the their invoice price from the manufacturer.

Edited by blue pickeral

for what its worth you dont have to get your regular services/maintenance done at a dealership to maintain your warranty. you just have to have proof that they have been done, receipts from whichever shop you choose is normally good enough. a lot of people aren't aware of this and spend much more money on maintenance at the dealer.

ryan