Buying a new car

kickingfrog

I hope there are not any car salesmen on here reading this unsure.gif

I think they are payed off a % of gross and when we haggle down to having no gross in the car they dont get payed. How much should someone make from selling a car? What is a fair markup on a car i wonder?

If you are buying a $20 000 car what should the salesperson make? And what should a dealership make?

Thanks Burt.

The single note you play is old and tired bob. Toyoto had nothing to compare for what I wanted/needed. If they had I would have driven it because they do a good job.

Oh, sorry I upset you buddy...it was a tongue and cheek remark for fun...good luck on your choice.

Bob

Doesn't matter how great a deal you think you got...remember this. They just shafted ya good. If they didn't get you negotiating they'll get ya when the deal is closed.

After you're done with the sales dude it's then up to the add on rep to get into your wallet. That's where the real money is made. Just wait and see how they will pull out all the ropes to get their paws into your pocket. Not only that but everything they try to sell you is way over priced. Refuse the theft insurance scam sticker and engraving too that they say is part of the added admin fees, what a ripoff!

Good luck, you are entering into their world now. There is no such thing as a good deal, they always get their money, they just change the wording around to make it sound good.

I hope there are not any car salesmen on here reading this unsure.gif

Researching ahead of time actually helps out the salesperson as you know what you want, what you want to pay and not wasting his/her time as a 'tire kicker'. As mentioned previously, I get a quote from www.apa.ca and you know you are at least going to get this deal no haggling involved. The apa dealer is some distance from us, so gave closer dealerships the opportunity to at least match (initally beat) the price. None would. But established this in 5 minutes including a visit to the sales manager.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips.

Here is another site to consider if you are in the market for a new car.

http://www.unhaggle.com/

BTW If you are thinking of buying a new car this summer or early fall you might find your choices are limited or non-existant. Subaru, Volkswagen and Kia all had me ready to sign a deal, but they had no vehicles to sell me (I bet that's a kick in the pants for the salespeople). A few others told me the same thing before I even got in the door. All wanted me to hold out until the fall for their 2012s. I would have, but I did not want to take the chance that I would have to repair something on my old car. I did get a great deal on the car I settled on, but I'll be looking to turn it over sooner rather than later.

So, what did you get? Just curious.....I like my subaru's, but I'm not a big fan of the lagacy for some reason. Still a good vehicle though, and I'm sure miles ahead of any toyota :whistling::w00t:

P.S I'm fishing with Bob this week, I'll make sure to trash toyota lots for us all on the board!! I hope he can catch fish :whistling:

S.