Senko Rod

zeeter

Hey Guys,

Looking into getting a spinning rod specifically for senkos. Preferably I'd like a bit of a longer rod and medium/heavy.

I've been looking at a St. Croix Avid, Shimano Compre or a mid-range Loomis rod.

Any suggestions on what you like? It will be paired with a Stradic.

I've got a custom 1pc 7ft Rainshadow XST 10-17lb that I absolutely love for senkos.. Light enough tip to feel every single thing, but lots of power in the bottom end to pull those suckers out of the weeds.

Pretty much any 7' medium/extra-fast rod will do for senkos. If you're thinking about throwing in cover, maybe bump that up to a medium-heavy. You can probably find a nice 7ft gl3 or crucial in your midrange price.

I run a 6'8" medium power xtra fast custom made rod. Lots of backbone to pull fish from wherever they are, very light and super sensative. Long enough to control the fish, but short enough to make pinpoint casts and skipping the bait under docks, trees, etc.

I may be the odd one out on this but I had a 7 foot medium light St. Croix Premier Spinning (fast) rod and I thought it was perfect for throwing Senkos. I broke the tip off and replaced it with a 6'9 St. Croix Mojo Senko Rod, xf tip. I much prefered the Premier, although it didn't have as much backbone as the Mojo it cast better, felt more sensitive and the extra length, although only marginal, made hauling in fish equal to the Medium Mojo. If you were fishing heavy cover you might prefer a heavier action but I still prefered the 7 foot ml. I'd trade my mojo for one in a heartbeat.

6'8 M XF crucial drop shot rod

Bingo! Awesome senko rod, I had been using it for senkos when I got a new Cumara for dropshotting. Its has an amazingly sensitive tip and the backbone starts really late but comes on fast. Now the crucial will be retired in favour of a nrx852 spinning rod. Can't wait for opener!