Filleting Perch

mercman

I know this is probably a dumb question, but i really dont know the answer. Can i semi clean fish(take off head and guts) then freeze perch or bass etc, then thaw them later and fillet them?dunno.gif Is it more difficult to remove the skin from the fillet?

I get off the water late sometimes and am too tired to start filleting fish.

Paul

Merc if your going to clean them the next day or two you can just refrigerate them whole (wrapped in newspaper) until then....many fish clean houses pack them in crushed ice and just keep them cold until they are filleted....

Years ago when we still had 2 active smoke houses on Lake Erie that also sold fresh fish fillets...one in Dunkirk, NY and the other one about 15 west in Barcelona, NY I went with my fathers friend as he wanted to purchase fresh walleyes....they had them on the fin...the complete fish packed in crushed ice...Steve paid for the live weight of the fish and then the man filleted it for him....I'm sure that's exactly what you get when you pick out those nice fillets that are displayed in the display counter in the front of the store.

But anyways....yes, I have just wrapped them in newspaper and refrigerated them until morning MANY times when we night trolled for walleyes. Couldn't tell the difference except they were less slimmey because the newspaper soaked a lot of the slime up.

Bob