raising my transom

Rizzo

Got a new motor for the tinny at the cottage but would like to raise the transom. Can I use just wood (ie oressure treated 2X4 or 2X6)? Would set that on top of existing transom, and then put a brace on each side so it kind of looks like an upside down U. Motor is only a 9.9, boat is 14 feet tinny (no floor). Was thinking I might only use about 10 to 12 inches in width so the raised area is not that much bigger than the motor itself. I'm not real technical so please keep 'er simple if giving advice! Just wondered if wood be strong enough considering its a small boat, small motor and lake has basically nothing you could hit unless you're 5 feet from shore.

Got a new motor for the tinny at the cottage but would like to raise the transom. Can I use just wood (ie oressure treated 2X4 or 2X6)? Would set that on top of existing transom, and then put a brace on each side so it kind of looks like an upside down U. Motor is only a 9.9, boat is 14 feet tinny (no floor). Was thinking I might only use about 10 to 12 inches in width so the raised area is not that much bigger than the motor itself. I'm not real technical so please keep 'er simple if giving advice! Just wondered if wood be strong enough considering its a small boat, small motor and lake has basically nothing you could hit unless you're 5 feet from shore.

Why do you want to raise it, is the motor a long shaft?

Thanks for the canoe.

Its starting to take shape.

Between work and kids its hard to find time..

materials in hand.

its looking good .

My daughter is realy excited .

Cant wait for CANADA DAY long wknd.

saltydawg.

I'm not sure why you want to raise it either.

I wouldn't attach an outboard of any size to what you've described though. Not a chance.

You could use a 1" thick piece of hardwood(hockey stick) under the motor mount to lift the engine up an inch, but I wouldn't want to go much higher than that.

I've seen small tinnies with a transom riser on them though, so they are available somewhere.

S.

Thanks for the canoe.

Its starting to take shape.

Between work and kids its hard to find time..

materials in hand.

its looking good .

My daughter is realy excited .

Cant wait for CANADA DAY long wknd.

good to hear Don. I hope you're able to restore it and have lots of fun!

Looked for pictures of the one I built but couldn't find them so will try to describe:

-cut and laminate two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood - preferably marine grade - dimensions high and wide enough to suit mounting your OB.

-get two pieces aluminum sheet - 1/8 inch I think, cut to width of block above and twice the height.

-fasten to wood block so that extra aluminum sheet fits over transom.

-use 4 lengths of aluminum 90 degree corner pieces 1 inch and fairly thick, drill and bolt to outer edges of your addition and then drill and bolt through transom.

-drill and bolt a few extra holes through the transom and your sheet metal.