Brute MG 56lb TM wiring Question?

baironhorse

My boat is a 16ft mirrocraft...Currently using a MG36lb 12v off 1 interstate battery...Only last 4-5hr max and have to have it full speed to move me around when boat is loaded....I wanna hook my Brute MG 56lb TM...it has 12v/24v mode...My question is it better to run 2 batteries in parrell for 12 v mode OR wire 2 batts in a series for 24v mode? Will I get same draw/power and run time either way? I would be using to 27class interstates bats? Need to know the set up that would give me best bang for my buck! Finally would I put a breaker on all hot +ve terminals???I found these attached diagrams for reference(not sure if they are accurate)...Which way would you go???thanks

p1233681317.jpg

p12336813178.jpg

My boat is a 16ft mirrocraft...Currently using a MG36lb 12v off 1 interstate battery...Only last 4-5hr max and have to have it full speed to move me around when boat is loaded....I wanna hook my Brute MG 56lb TM...it has 12v/24v mode...My question is it better to run 2 batteries in parrell for 12 v mode OR wire 2 batts in a series for 24v mode? Will I get same draw/power and run time either way? I would be using to 27class interstates bats? Need to know the set up that would give me best bang for my buck! Finally would I put a breaker on all hot +ve terminals???I found these attached diagrams for reference(not sure if they are accurate)...Which way would you go???thanks

Run it in 24V mode you will double your run time due to the fact that at 24 volts you decrease the amperage needed to get the same propulsion by 50%.

It's the same reason high draw appliances like electric stoves, dryers and hot water heaters run on 220volts and not 110 like the rest of your house hold items.

Breaker goes on the hot line leading to the TM. No need for a breaker on the hot lead between batteries.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

So wire in series is the way to go then...Is the diagram correct? And do you suggest a 40 or 50amp breaker?

Run it in 24V mode you will double your run time due to the fact that at 24 volts you decrease the amperage needed to get the same propulsion by 50%.

It's the same reason high draw appliances like electric stoves, dryers and hot water heaters run on 220volts and not 110 like the rest of your house hold items.

Breaker goes on the hot line leading to the TM. No need for a breaker on the hot lead between batteries.

I'm getting mixed signals here. Is it a 36 or a 56lb? If it's a 56lb, run it on 24volt, two 12v batteries in series, one breaker on the red to the motor and 40 or 50 amp is good. With an 80 amp, your TM will go up in smoke before the breaker trips.

I'm getting mixed signals here. Is it a 36 or a 56lb? If it's a 56lb, run it on 24volt, two 12v batteries in series, one breaker on the red to the motor and 40 or 50 amp is good. With an 80 amp, your TM will go up in smoke before the breaker trips.

Current TM is 36# 12V and new is 56# 12/24V.

Yep 40 or 50 amp breaker is good.

not to confuse you but some of the motors that are 12/24 have 4 wires run to the motor were the 12/24 selection is internal to the motor and a 2 wire 24 volt will fry the motor. Check to see how many wires are in the feed line to the new motor before energizing the circuit.

Art

the are three wires...blk, red, orange.... from what was told to me black and red 24v circuit...black and organge 12v circuit....hope this clarifies things....of not let me know!

not to confuse you but some of the motors that are 12/24 have 4 wires run to the motor were the 12/24 selection is internal to the motor and a 2 wire 24 volt will fry the motor. Check to see how many wires are in the feed line to the new motor before energizing the circuit.

Art

It should be Red = +12 volts. Orange = +24 volts. Black = Ground. If you want to make sure it's correct, set the motor to 24volt using the switch. Connect the black wire to battery negative post then touch the positive battery post with the red wire.. then touch the positive post with the orange wire. Whichever runs fastest is the 24v wire.

Thx Roy...good to know...I won't burn any thing out in the process will I?

It should be Red = +12 volts. Orange = +24 volts. Black = Ground. If you want to make sure it's correct, set the motor to 24volt using the switch. Connect the black wire to battery negative post then touch the positive battery post with the red wire.. then touch the positive post with the orange wire. Whichever runs fastest is the 24v wire.