A question on boat registration

aniceguy

I have a friend and wer were talking yesterday. He has a boat that he bought 7 or so yrs ago, he registered the plates to the trailer but he never registered the boat or engine. He does have the original bill of sale. I always had the dealer do it so I have no clue on this. Would someone point it in the right direction so I can help my friend out

thanks

Louis

I got a couple of 14 foot boats the previous owner was going to junk and repaired them. I registered them with Canada customs and about 2 years later I got a note from the Ontario government asking me if I paid the sales tax on them. Tell your friend that he can expect something asking him the same question.

In my case I didn't have to pay sales tax since I got the previous owner to sign a letter stating that no money was exchanged for these boats. However, the province sales tax people kept hounding me for money and it took another 2 years of corresponding back and forth with copies of this letter included in each correspondance to convince the province that all was on the up and up.

$300 fine for not producing a vessel licence to the nice guy in the blue suit!

We just did a thread on this less than 4 days ago. Services Canada is in charge of vessel licencing now. You can no longer do it at Canada Customs/Border Services. http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...services+canada

Was Canada Customs service for free..then I heard it was changing over so you could go to any Social Security/Services Canada or something like that...but note that Temagami Marine no longer goes to North Bay and do them...they fax them into

Services Canada

Pleasure Craft Licence Ctr.

Fredericton, NB

E3B 5G4

Fax number 506-462-5322

required..

Front of existing licence

Back of licence signed over to new owner and new owner has completed appropriate section

Complete an "Application for Pleasure Craft Licence".

Complete third party authorization letter... if you are doing it for someone else

Photocopy of both sides of your drivers licence

Bill of sale

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats/pleasurecraft.shtml ://http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/s...urecraft.shtml

The obvious question first, what horsepower is the engine? If it is under 10hp, the boat does not require a registration. If the boat engine is over 10 hp, then it should have been registered when purchased from the marina.

In any event, you will have to present the bill of sale, and quite likely an affidavit sign by a commissioner of oaths. Present all the documents at your nearby Service Canada office, and they will process it for you.

The webpage for Service Canada, gives a list of all their offices.

John

You want to license your boat not register it, the license gets you a set of #'s for the bow where registration gets you a name and can cost a few $K. I have a buddy who is registering his boat and it's turning into a nightmare.

There is a form for licensing a boat without the proper paper work, if someone needs it I can hunt it up or you can try www.boatingsafety.gc.ca

thanks a ton for the great info quite the task for him as I read through it all. Someone mentioned there is an office in Brampton, my buddy lives there and it would be easier for him to do it there

From what he said to me he has the bill of sale and the tranfer doc signed he just doesnt knwo who to call and where to go to get the hull transfered over and the boat numbers either changed or transfered over also

Edited by aniceguy

I just checked out the Services Canada Site...

They say regitering a pleasure craft under the Weight of 15 gross tons is optional.

It does not say anything about H.P, length or anything?

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/goc/ship...istration.shtml

You need to tranfer the Licence of the boat into your name, and of course Licnece the trailer, but the boat doe not need to be registered.

Edited by Cookslav