fuel stabilizer -

rob v

I've been using the Stabil marine formula additive in my gasoline for my outboard to help minimize the ethanol issues - thinking it was also good for stabilizing fuel for storage. But looking thru the literature on the stuff it doesn't look like they recommend it for storage. I got my outboard (optimax 115) running this spring with no problem as in the past using this product and was going to purchase some more of the stabil marine when I started wondering if i was using the best product.

I looked into the stuff Bob Izumi pedals - phase guard 4 . It looks like it's designed to do both - deal with the ethanol issues and stabilize the fuel. I'd prefer to use just one product that does everything I need it to do. Has anyone used the phase guard 4 product ? Good or bad experiences ?

http://www.crc-canada.ca/Support/prod_detail.aspx?PN=75141

Guest gbfisher

I've been using the Stabil marine formula additive in my gasoline for my outboard to help minimize the ethanol issues - thinking it was also good for stabilizing fuel for storage. But looking thru the literature on the stuff it doesn't look like they recommend it for storage. I got my outboard (optimax 115) running this spring with no problem as in the past using this product and was going to purchase some more of the stabil marine when I started wondering if i was using the best product.

I looked into the stuff Bob Izumi pedals - phase guard 4 . It looks like it's designed to do both - deal with the ethanol issues and stabilize the fuel. I'd prefer to use just one product that does everything I need it to do. Has anyone used the phase guard 4 product ? Good or bad experiences ?

http://www.crc-canada.ca/Support/prod_detail.aspx?PN=75141

I've used it for 6 seasons now and haven't had any issues. Gas doesn't sit very long in my boat :huh: except over the winter.

Q: How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer keep fuel fresh?

A:

STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer will keep fuel fresh for up to 12 months, guaranteed. Depending on the quality, type and

source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BIL could prolong this storage

time to up to 2 years. However, any gasoline stored for more than 12 months will tend to lose volatility (ignitability),

which could lead to hard starting or no start conditions after this long storage period. NO additive, STA-BIL included,

will prevent volatility loss in fuel. To reduce fuel volatility loss during storage, we recommend filling your tank at least

95% fulll with fresh fuel and STA-BIL, and store in cool conditions away from direct sunlight if possible.

If you forget to stabilize your fuel prior to storage and do experience problems starting your equipment after storage,

we recommend trying our StartYourEngines! Fuel System Revitalizer product.

From the FAQ stabil website.

Art

I used Seafoam as a stabilizer last fall simply because it claims to be one. I had my boat out last weekend and it ran as good or better than it ever has on the first outing. And my non boating season is 8 months long.

Startron, sold at Canadian Tire stres is the better one out of the three. Bob is sponsored by them so will say anything to sell it. Look at his facebook page, look at the Gas picture. Hmmmmm!!!!!!

I had read all the studies and startron is the best and beleive it or not the cheaper one as well. Does both and even keeps the Ethanol from seperating from the fuel the best. Im using this and no longer using the 87 gas anymore, up to 15% Ethanol, Mercs like the Verado cant handle that and states that on their site and manuals.

thanks smalliefisher - yes i saw that picture on his facebook page. he never explained why that happened - I have no idea what extreme marine is - but if that's his boat, and he's using that phase guard 4 and that's due to fuel separation i don't wanna use what he's using

Extreme Marine are the guys that work on my boat as well. Best marine guys out there. Im not sure what that pic was of either. Looks like water or something. I know I drain my fuel out every spring with a pump system and I have a water seperator in-line. Including the one on my Merc Block. I have yet to have any seperation or water at all. I have a clear drainable filter and have yet to catch anything. Startron is awesome stuff. I use it in my truck, lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc. This stuff really works. Howver I have abondoned the use of 87 Octane. Mid grade or Super for certain stuff. Mid for the boat.

Yes the marine has the same protection. I store over 145 gal of fuel between the 3 boats and it is the best for the job. My large boat has twin 318 and an aluminum fuel tank. So far in 4 years no water has been found in the water separators and the fuel from last fall was not varnished or discolored. I am betting over 40,000.oo worth of motors on it with my mechanics blessing.

Art

Thanks Art - it's been working well for me also - just wanted to make sure it wasn't just a fluke or something. After checking the stabil site further it mentioned that for the marine formula for storage just double the dose

Edited by Rob V

Marine Stabil is fine for storage. Give it a healthy dose and you'll be fine. Seafoam isn't the greatest for storage, there has been a lot of discussion on iboats.com and the consensus by the marine mechanics on the board that it should be used to clean up engines and not for the long term storage of fuel. Every product has it's pros and cons, as long as you are using something, it's better than nothing. I store my boat with an almost empty fuel tank and a healthy dose of Marine Stabil. A little pleasure cruise to burn off excess fuel in the tank and away she goes for winterizing.