May 2-4 Report

We have a tradition on heading up to the father-in-laws for May 24. He has a chuck of land south of Owen Sound. We take our trailer and have a blast. Bon-fires, target shooting, ground hog hunting and FISHING!

Where he lives is in the headwaters of the Saugeen River and there are small spring feed, gravel bottom creeks everywhere. I took the kids out several time for specs. At one time I had 7 kids (10 and under) spread out along the bank of a creek trying for specs! Not exactly the ideal conditions for these easily spooked fish but you do what you have to if you want to fish!

Despite the complete lack of stealth we managed about 12 specs over the weekend. All were released except 2 that were badly hooked. They made a great little pan fried appetizer.

I managed to up my PB for 6" to 6.75"

BrookTrout_675_Chris_BeaverRiver-Meas.jpg

My boy nailed this nice 7.5" spec. The biggest of the weekend.

BrookTrout_75_Eric_RockySaugeen.jpg

BrookTrout_75_Eric_RockySaugeen-Meas.jpg

We found a couple of pools that were loaded with large minnows. I found out later that they were Chub. Most of them were Hornyhead Chub (te he he). In the chub pools the action was non stop and the kids loved it. We even nailed a couple of monsters! Here's the "trophy" chub of the weekend. A fat 9.75" Hornyhead chub. This spawning male lived up to it's name. He had 3 monster horns on each side of his head!

HorneyHeadChub_975_Hannah_CreektoBellsLake-meas.jpg

Here's a couple more we landed

P5180247.jpg

P5180245.jpg

It seamed that if the pool had a dark bottom it was full of chub. If you could see the gravel on the bottom it held specs.

All in all a great weekend! It felt like summer. We came home tired, sun-burnt, bug bitten but we loved every minute!

Edited by Homer Is King

Thanks guys! Going out with the kids definitely cuts into "my" fishing time but I is well worth it. Getting them hooked now will pay off in the future! Plus I'm getting really good at undoing tangles! LOL!!

Forgot to mention, everything was caught on a worm on a hook with a 4 lb flourocarbon leader.