Used boat purchase... fair price?

Fisherpete

Hey Fisherpeople, looking for a little advice on buying my first boat (used). A neighbor of mine up the street is selling it as they no longer have a cottage. The boat is a 15 or 16ft aluminum (forget the brand, I will go check today), the boat itself is in amazing shape. Comes with a trailer that needs a fresh coat of paint, and a 25hp Evinrude (1990 I think he said). He said the motor runs amazing, and was tuned up summer '05 with new plugs, etc. The boat has a custom made snap down cover, and two plastic fold down seats mounted on the benches. Comes with 5 new lifejackets as well, paddles, etc. He wasn't actually planning on selling it, but I saw the boat sitting there all summer and I knocked on his door and asked him! I think he is looking for between $2000 and $2300, which seems like a very fair price. Obviously, I am going to take the boat down to the lake for a spin first to test for leaks and see how the motor runs. Any thoughts? What should I look at on the trailer to know if it is functional?

thanks!

Fisherpete

Where do you live? I'll check it out for you, nudge nudge, wink wink and tell you if it's worth the money. :devil:

All joking aside, if it looks good, doesn't leak, the motor runs as good as he says and there is a trailer go for it. Of course ya gotta chisel the asking price down for the h3ll of it, but if it is this good then go for it! You cannot go wrong with a good sound tinny regardless of the brand. Brand is irrelevant as all tinnies are good in there own regard.

If the boat is registered in Ontario or where ever you live, as it should be with a 25 hp on it, then you should be safe as far as the ownership goes.

If the boat is 16 feet, and floats, it's worth $1000, The motor if it a 1999 it's probably worth 800-1000 and the trailer is worth 700. So if you can get it for 2300 or less, go for it.

I paid, 3years ago, 1000 for a 1990 16 foot lund and 1200 for a 2003 20 hp merc motor with no trailer, so your neighbour seems to be in the ballpark.