Best fishing canoe / small boat?

scugpg

I'm looking at parting ways with my prospector canoe and getting something a little more geared for fishing. Was thinking about a jon boat but I like the idea of paddling once in a while on trips. I've seen the sportspals but I'm wondering if they sit very high off the seats, as I need lots of legroom. The Esquif mallard is another choice.

What do you guys recommend? Need to fit two people, light enough for one and can paddle ok.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Many people swear by them but I do not like sportspals. When I've fished them I've found them to be too light when not under load in wind/foul weather. Also, have you ever tried to "paddle" a square stern? It's quite difficult even with two guys and they are more suited to be rowed. I remember about a decade back having to watch two friends paddle a square stern sportspal about 6km down a lake in wind. 2 hours later they were so tired they barely had the energy to fish!

If you're looking for a legitimate upgrade from a canoe, I would look at a small aluminum boat or jon boat.

I have a 12 ft Sportspal. I carry a paddle but use a small electric motor and then sit on the battery box for a seat. But, I am a little guy so there is lots of "leg room" for me. In strong winds I bring the canoe closer to shore and work my way back that way. I also own a 12 ft tinnie. Two people max in it. My buddy, Dutchy, is a seriously BIG dude (6'4"). He has plenty of leg room in that. I use the same trolling motor for both boats. (35lb thrust Motor guide). I haven't been caught in the wind in the tinnie yet, but expect it would be even tougher to get home in the wind than the canoe.

As a teen my uncle had an Adirondack Boat at his Haliburton cottage. It was canvas covered, keeled, cedar strip but the thing was a rowers dream, moved effortlessly and tracked true. I see on this page they are available now with modern lighter, spaceage materials. Pair of light oars and you could forego the weight of a battery and motor, could be worth looking into.

http://www.adirondack-guide-boat.com/

If you can find one try an older scanoe from coleman. I have one and it is great for fishing,i use a 5 hp nissan and when I want to just canoe it also works well. You sit higher up than a sportspal ,also they are alot more stable and there is lots of leg room.The one downside to these is they are heavy but wind won't blow them around like a sportspal and they can take a beating. Try to find an older model with the aluminum frame.

If your looking for something easy to carry, put a motor on and still be able to dip a paddle the Esquif Mallard gets my vote. :thumbsup_anim:

I just bought the Mallard and was able to get out in it for the first time last weeknd. At 45lbs its easy to carry into those back lakes and with the middle seat

it paddles decent for a Square back.

You can even catch fish in it ;)

035.jpg

Want a step up in size look at the Heron(14' version).

If your looking for something easy to carry, put a motor on and still be able to dip a paddle the Esquif Mallard gets my vote. :thumbsup_anim:

I just bought the Mallard and was able to get out in it for the first time last weeknd. At 45lbs its easy to carry into those back lakes and with the middle seat

it paddles decent for a Square back.

You can even catch fish in it ;)

035.jpg

Want a step up in size look at the Heron(14' version).

Hey where did you get yours? Stra the seats fairly high in it? Glad you like it it's really nice

Hey where did you get yours? Stra the seats fairly high in it? Glad you like it it's really nice

Bought mine at Paddle Shack but Sail in Ottawa stocks them as well.

You can proly put longer seat hangers in, but I find the height comfortable for fishing.

I sold my 12 foot jon and bought this one as the jon boat was a 2 person carry unless you are able to back up to the lake.

Good luck with what ever you chose.

Edited by Selfmade05

I have a 14' square back sportspal . Never had any issues with wind. I have fished with 3 pepole in it many times. Fished from long point to nipp. and everywhere inbetween. i have run a 3hp yammy on it for years. Even rigged up a couple of seats for it. I think the weight is around 75# so very easy to carry with one person