CTC - 2.6hp outboard in this weekend's flyer

Tootsie II

This weekend's flyer from CTC has a 2.6 hp gas outboard tucked up in the top corner of page 31. Sale price is $ 729.99 . I suspect it is one of these Chinese units that we are now seeing in Canada. Anybody had any experience with their or other South-East Asian ( excluding Japanese) outboards. Am thinking about a kicker for my 14' wide body Naden.

Only problem is when it breaks down, do you go to the Canadian Tire marine section in the store for spare parts or wait for the boat from China to bring you parts. Same goes for other things like gennies, one of the campers has gone through 4 different brands, he finally broke down and bought a Honda. He doesn't even bring his tool kit anymore.

What Fisherman Said,

I sell Mercury and my Price on a Mercury 2.5HP 4-Stroke is $899. For the Price difference of $170, it comes standard with a 3 year warranty plus an additional 2 years on top (Merc Promo). I personally think in this case, service after the sale for outboards is more important. Just cause our season is so short and who really wants to wait for a part to come in.

I'd personally try to find a yamaha from the mid-late 1990's. Ive put thousands and thousands of hours on my 1992 2.2 hp and never a problem. You'll save some cash too! If you are buying new grab a Honda like fisherman said.

Get yourself any of the traditional brands...Merc, Johnson, Evinrude, Yammy, Honda....even if it's 10 years old it will still be better then that brand new China JUNK they are advertising.

In a couple of years you wouldn't even be able to give the China JUNK away, where you can easily sell a traditional brand with almost no loss.

yup, stay away from that junk crappy tire sells. Just get a little honda, yam, merc, johnny whaveter finding parts will be very difficult. For example just go to the ctc and tell them you need a new impellor kit, coil, wires, stator and starter spring. These are all common thing you will need to rpelace over time. as well ask for a carb rebuild kit. Then think of yourself in 10 years asking for the same part.