Trolling Lake O again

spincast

As the weather warms up and opportunities to launch on Lake O present themselves on the coveted weekends that don't bring high winds, our house greets the opportunity with a big wooo hooo!! Gonefishing.gifthumbsup_anim.gif (well, I do anywaywhistling.gif )

My son, who awoke to find me gone almost every weekend last year after I bought the new to me boat, and watched me bring home 2PB's and was with me on Temagami when I caught another, has decided that he is going to try this addiction - so he joined Frankie65, his wife Juli and I for a Saturday venture to the big O on the shores of wine country.

I decided to go easy on the young guy and not depart our place till 6:45. I was up at 5:00 as usual - G-Man at 5:30. By 6 we were at Timmies, boat prepped and hooked and sweeping the grass off the driveway while we waited for Frank and and Juli at the appointed hour. As usual, they pull around the corner right on time and by 6:55 the vehicle is loaded and we're Jordan bound.

We stopped by the Timmies for long enough to decide that by the time we order our coffee it will be lunch time, so we mosey on down the road. Wait at the launch wasn't too bad and we were pulling out of the harbour by 8:30, with a tip from the man who took our launch money.

The water at the harbour mouth and for as far as the eye could see was chocolate and full of deadwood. We hit 35 foot of water and it looked like a scene from one of those end of the world movies (kind of appropriate given what some misguided individuals were predicting) Everywhere you looked 2 x12's; 6 - 8 foot sections of dead and rotted trees, branch, buckets, floating cars ( Ok there weren't any cars - I was just checking to see if you were still reading). Navigating the flotsom was a full time job. G-Man too the seat at the crows nest (bow) calling the hazards out all the way (sorry, we dont have any pictures of this part - note for next time).

We set up the spread - 2 lead cores of the planer boards, 2 down riggers and 2 flat lines with lead core down the chute. Thanks to the set up at Trojan tackle my little 16 footer can handle this with out too much trouble so long as you watch those turns. However life is always teaching us lessons and this weekends was -Lymans down the chute with this many lines --- not a good idea. 10 minutes of line untangles - changing up a couple in the spread: IMG_8098.jpg?t=1306105816

As you can see the water was so calm you could have had a flat stones skipping competition. The sun came out an beat down on us. (reminder - leave the bimini top on when it gets over 21). The crew was prepped and ready for some action:

IMG_8099.jpg?t=1306106026

we were looking here

May21-itdidntend002.jpg?t=1306106128

we were looking there

May21-itdidntend003.jpg?t=1306106199

There's one! coming up from 60 to 40 ---- he's looking.....

Where'd he go?

May21-itdidntend005.jpg?t=1306106280

We were looking everywhere - safe to say several hours passed and nothing committed. We heard on the radio that it was tough all over - lots to look at but nothing taking. Our experience matched - the screen was full, above and below the t-cline. Our spread went form 10 foot to 53 and nobody would take a bite!- so in a last ditch effort, we figured we would give them a hint (this almost always works for our crew rolleyes.gif )

Lunch time:

G-Man grabs a bite: IMG_8064.jpg?t=1306106491

and Juli says FISH ON

I'm ready!

IMG_8052.jpg?t=1306106573

Got him! cheers and smiles all around

IMG_8058.jpg?t=1306106626

Learning to pull up, and reel-in on the down-stroke:

IMG_8055.jpg?t=1306106713

With 5 other rods out this guy gave us all a good work out - and when he finally came to the boat he still had one more little trick up his sleeve, doing a deke as the net went in and catching the hook on the outside top of the net. Nothing for it but a hand snag. I reached down and grabbed him by the gills and brought him in, cathcing the back hook in the fleshy tab of my little finger in the process - G was little over whelmed at first, and this was one active fish, still so he wouldn't hold it at first, but we convinced him to get a pic scaling her (7.6lbs).

IMG_8078.jpg?t=1306107099

Well after that, things shut off again and we got comfortable in the sun again, hoping for a couple more for the rest of us, but it was not to be:

IMG_8089.jpg?t=1306107181

So - 6 hours after we launched we motor back in and called her a day. G did a couple poses with his new PB ( and asked me to submit to OFAH so he can get his certificate and sticker)

May21-itdidntend015.jpg?t=1306107307

IMG_8127.jpg?t=1306107368

Thanks to Frank and Juli for your amazing company - as always. A special thanks to Juli for some of the photo's (most actually) used in the post.

That's twice the lttle monkey has caught a good fish and shut me out! 29.5 incher, that made some darn tasty smoked fish.... a great way to spend a weekend!

We had a great time as always, Rick!! The G-man was a pleasure, what a well mannered young man, with a ton of patience yesterday as well.

I loved seeing him battle that bow with that big a$$ Penn reel of mine :lol:

Great post, looking forward to our next adventure on the water...probably going to be a little while, since your heading out with a certain pirate captain in a couple weeks, while we are heading out with my boat for Kawartha musky opener!!!!!

:Gonefishing:

Edited by FRANKIE65

clapping.gif Now thats what its all aboutgood.gif Catchin fis is a bonus, but a day on the water with familly and friends is the best.

Thanks for the report. BTW, the Big River is full of dead trees and floating logs here too.Watched as a dead deer floated by the other day.It was alot better today though, and the water is getting cleaner too.

Excellent report. It was a beauty day to be out there, but I agree on the bimini top for those conditions. I've baked out there myself a few times.

Nice fish, too bad they all didn't want to cooperate. Next time :thumbsup_anim:

thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif For GMANthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Dad has taught you too wellbiggrin.gif

WTG Bro, keep it up and dads going snoozing while you catch all the fishiessarcasm.giftongue.gifgood.gif

thanks for sharing your report

ill suggest next time pull those flat lines from the middle (chute) and run a diver on each side instead. Divers catch lots of fish & you will have much less tangles

Great report Rick! Also that is one sweet shirt you are sporting!

From the sounds of it on spoonpullers as well not alot of people got into fish this weekend so at least you guys got the one bow. Hopefully the little guy learned what all the fuss is about and will want more B)

I was out locally (pickering) on saturday morning but not much is there yet from 20'-90'. I am hoping to get out on wednesday and was thinking about launching out of the bronte area. We will see what the weather holds and if any new reports come in in the meantime.

Tightlines,

-Adam.

thanks for sharing your report

ill suggest next time pull those flat lines from the middle (chute) and run a diver on each side instead. Divers catch lots of fish & you will have much less tangles

Thanks for the hint Fishdawg; divers are the new weapon to learn this year - I haven't really used them before but it seems they are a definite go to for many a great angler. I picked up a wire set up and some divers to try running flies off this year. Next time out we'll run one down the chute and see what she produces.

The Lyman is definitely an outside line lure only, too bad I wasn't watching when you put that down the middle. On a good note, it did catch our only fish on the planer board, lead core set-up. That's two trips in a row that lure has produced! Plus it is MADE IN CANADA!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the hint Fishdawg; divers are the new weapon to learn this year - I haven't really used them before but it seems they are a definite go to for many a great angler. I picked up a wire set up and some divers to try running flies off this year. Next time out we'll run one down the chute and see what she produces.

you can try running a diver down the chute but you will be far better off running it on the side between your rigger and planer boards. with 30lb wire and having a #1 diver on a 2.5-3 setting, let it out 150-200 feet

no doub from mid May through the rest of summer, wire diver combos will get ya lots of fish when they are properly deployed

also on smaller narrower boats, its preffered to keep the middle (chute) open and free of lines to avoid tangles and to leave lots of room for landing fish, to each their own though