1959 Chev vs 2009 Chev

kickingfrog

The 59 Bel Aire had enough room under the hood for a 348 and a couple of guys to stand and work on it! Only mice can find shelter under the hood of a 2009 Malibu!

I was like 14? on our way to Sandusky Bay one spring morning to catch some crappies. Dear old dad had spring crappie fever! He got nailed for 70mph in a 35mph zone at 6am in the morning in Huron Ohio, us and the cop were the only ones on the road there that early on a Sunday morning back then.

The court in Huron at the time would wave the fine, a days pay back then and only nail you for court costs, like 10 bucks back then, if you came and saw the driving safety movies. So dad decided we would go and see movies, they were in the evening at the Huron High School so no loss of work. Basically 2 hours of auto crash horror stories, them old tanks of the day were nowhere as safe as they seemed!

Lost a lot of friends back in the day that crashed them tanks, a lot at fairly low speeds.

got nailed for 70mph in a 35mph zone at 6am in the morning in Huron Ohio, us and the cop were the only ones on the road there that early on a Sunday morning back then.

We would get our car impounded for that amount of excessive speed nowadays... but does that stop us? :whistling:

We would get our car impounded for that amount of excessive speed nowadays... but does that stop us? :whistling:

I am fairly certain things would probably be handled differently here too today. It`s sort of funny thinking about it now, we I was a kid most of the freeway system here now wasn`t here then. A lot of two lane highway driving to get anywhere, driving to Cincinnati Ohio from Cleveland could take the better part of 8 hours. The speed limit on most of the two lane highways was 60mph, but you had a small town every 8-10 miles and a lot of them didn`t post the speed limit changes real well ( speed traps ).

The 8-10 mile spacing of small towns? Established during the horse and buggy days, it took folks the better part of a day to get into town, get what they needed and back home before dark. LOL but they were spreading fertilizer all the way?

Different times, we probably had half our present population, and unless you were a jerk the cops would cut you a lot of slack.

I am fairly certain things would probably be handled differently here too today. It`s sort of funny thinking about it now, we I was a kid most of the freeway system here now wasn`t here then. A lot of two lane highway driving to get anywhere, driving to Cincinnati Ohio from Cleveland could take the better part of 8 hours. The speed limit on most of the two lane highways was 60mph, but you had a small town every 8-10 miles and a lot of them didn`t post the speed limit changes real well ( speed traps ).

The 8-10 mile spacing of small towns? Established during the horse and buggy days, it took folks the better part of a day to get into town, get what they needed and back home before dark. LOL but they were spreading fertilizer all the way?

Different times, we probably had half our present population, and unless you were a jerk the cops would cut you a lot of slack.

i was talking about canada, what you were saying earlier equals out to be about 50km over the speed limit, and no matter what you get your car impounded and a $10,000 street racing ticket (even if your not racing). :wallbash:

A bit of a misspent youth Wayne, ya that happened, more than once. I picked some great places to do it also. Euclid ave. in downtown Cleveland, nice to have a guy along side of you and the cops chasing you both?

Had the cops chase me down my street one time, dad and grandma sitting on the porch watching us go by. It just seemed silly at the time to stop for a cop in a Rambler wagon.

There were a couple of industrial streets near me in Cleveland, on Friday and Saturday night mostly deserted, except for the street racers and crowds watching them. From 1964 to 1971, the glory days of Detroit iron, some bad rides! Heck I saw guys trailer dragsters to the streets, race, load them up and leave. Wild times back then, drive 50-60 miles to a drag strip? Closer places, with a little risk.

I don`t advise anyone to do it now.