Colours under Water

There are so many questions and secrets about coulours under water, that it took a while for me to understand them using research and experimenting under water. Most of my collected knowledge I introduced into a new book, which should appear next year in the german language for the german market. Some of the things in my book I want to share with you...

The first important question for anglers is: What can fish see under water? Can they see colours? Is it possible to see colours under water? These and many similar questions pre-occupied every lure-angler thoughts, mine included!

To understand colour-vision under water, we have to distinguish two factors:

Which coloured light can reach the fish-eye?

Which colours can fish see, if they reach the eye?

see the rest of the article by by Uli Beyer here >>

http://www.esoxhunter.com/ColorsInWater.php

Edited by splashhopper

There are so many questions and secrets about coulours under water, that it took a while for me to understand them using research and experimenting under water. Most of my collected knowledge I introduced into a new book, which should appear next year in the german language for the german market. Some of the things in my book I want to share with you...

The first important question for anglers is: What can fish see under water? Can they see colours? Is it possible to see colours under water? These and many similar questions pre-occupied every lure-angler thoughts, mine included!

http://www.esoxhunte...lorsInWater.php

Thanks for a very good post! Much appreciated.

I've fished tons of lakes with varying degrees of water vis., but it wasn't until I fished Rainy River for a few years before I truly learned about how the water color, and above water conditions effected baits.

I know one thing though, when the water gets "chocolate milk", black works best. But, thats this body of water, it can vary from waterbody to waterbody.

Again, great post, alot of good, usefull information.

ifound it interesting too... one of my buddies always wondered why I could catch trout with a half worm wacky rigged and a 1/2" of flourescent orange or yellow yarn wrapped around the head of the hook.... i always thought it was because the yarn made it harder for the trout to spit the hook.... now i see that it may be a combination of both after reading this article :unsure:

Should also mention this changes for different species.

two colors I'll never use for walleye are orange and white, but both work great on pike (especially orange)

interesting ...ever try a "wonder bread" walleydiver?

interesting ...ever try a "wonder bread" walleydiver?

nope, but I just looked it up and realized that this company should be given kudos on their name selections alone, lol.

I'm guessing this is a big producer for you? If so, what body of water(s)

That wouldn't be a very productive color pattern on rainy river. I'd like to order the green/black one though and give that a shot

Edited by manitoubass2

Why would you say that?

On that body of water they just don't produce, and thats why I said it varies from waterbody to waterbody. I've fished plenty of smaller lakes in northwestern ontario where white is a great color choice for walleye, it just isn't on Rainy River. and trust me, I'm one to tinker and try anything, and fish probably a good 40 hours per week. When you fish like that, you learn alot about what does and doesn't work

Edited by manitoubass2

On that body of water they just don't produce, and thats why I said it varies from waterbody to waterbody. I've fished plenty of smaller lakes in northwestern ontario where white is a great color choice for walleye, it just isn't on Rainy River. and trust me, I'm one to tinker and try anything, and fish probably a good 40 hours per week. When you fish like that, you learn alot about what does and doesn't work

Ok but what do you make of the fact that orange is the colour most easily seen by walleye?

Ok but what do you make of the fact that orange is the colour most easily seen by walleye?

I think sight is only a portion of a more complicated equation, lol.

You know that fish react different to many variables, size scent presentation etc.

I can see orange pretty well also, doesn't mean I try to eat anything thats orange, lol. O.k., thats stretching it, but I'm sure you get my point.

Again, I must say, it varies from lake to lake, river to river. Fishing is full of variables, and thats one of the things that makes fishing our passion.

If only it were as easy as saying they see orange, they'll eat orange. On second thought, I'd rather have the variables

Fair enough. I was just curious as to why you said you'd NEVER use orange or white for walleye. Orange and white are no longer a part of a possible equation then. :)

lol, I meant on Rainy River though. I have and do use them on other water bodies :thumbsup_anim:

But it is good discussion though.

http://www.esoxhunte...lorsInWater.php

With all do respect.

I would not put to mutch merrit in what that artical states.

I have exstensive education in the field of light and how it works (IES Iluminating Enginering society)

Without going into detail right now I can say that it apeares that he does not have formal training regarding light and how it works.

I however feel that some of his findings do have some merit but its nothing that most of us dont already know.

having said that I will put together a guidline that will help all of us understand light and how it works both above water and under water.

AT this piont the main thing to come to grips with is that light is not actualy seen it is PERCIEVED..

Ps .

In no way is what I just said intended to start any arguments.

Edited by saltydawg

With all do respect.

I would not put to mutch merrit in what that artical states.

I have exstensive education in the field of light and how it works (IES Iluminating Enginering society)

Without going into detail right now I can say that it apeares that he does not have formal training regarding light and how it works.

I however feel that some of his findings do have some merit but its nothing that most of us dont already know.

having said that I will put together a guidline that will help all of us understand light and how it works both above water and under water.

AT this piont the main thing to come to grips with is that light is not actualy seen it is PERCIEVED..

Ps .

In no way is what I just said intended to start any arguments.

Can you put up a few pics like the author does? with the blacklight. A`picture says a thousand words ;)

What color works on one lake may not work on others. Colors do have an effect. I see they don't talk Chrome or Silver. Silver is allot brighter than chrome under water. Action is a big factor, certain movements trigger hits. I've seen on my under water camera just a gray sinker stirring up dirt on bottom will attract fish better than live bait, I've had Perch pick up my sinker off bottom. Some people think the red hooks they put on lures now are for attracting fish, not so. Red is not as visual under water. They install red hooks so fish can't see them like your standard hooks.

Thanks for posting, good thread.

Edited by Fish Farmer

What color works on one lake may not work on others. Colors do have an effect. I see they don't talk Chrome or Silver. Silver is allot brighter than chrome under water. Action is a big factor, certain movements trigger hits. I've seen on my under water camera just a gray sinker stirring up dirt on bottom will attract fish better than live bait, I've had Perch pick up my sinker off bottom. Some people think the red hooks they put on lures now are for attracting fish, not so. Red is not as visual under water. They install red hooks so fish can't see them like your standard hooks.

Thanks for posting, good thread.

Yep, I agree on the red hooks.

One thing to mention is black, although low on the color chart, creates a more visible silhouette under murky water/deep water, so there are other factors to consider other than just plain sight.