Trailer tow Harness on vehical

holdfast

I own a 99 ford Ranger and found that the problem with my trailer running lights are due to the vehicle. The left and right trailer turn signals work but not the running lights. I changed the harness that connects from the truck proper to the trailer connector. Still no power for the trailer Running lights. The wires and connectors look good. Could it be a fuse or relay. On my manual there are separate fuses for left and right tow turn signals and a fuse that is labelled Park Lamp/Trailer tow relay, Could that be the reason?

Had the same problem with my 99 F150. It was a fuse under the hood which blew. There are two separate fuse boxes in mine. One inside and one under the hood. Can't remember what it was called in the manual though. I would certainly check out the related fuses first. Hopefully that's what it is for ya. My experience with wiring and electrical stuff is nill...

Make sure that the trailer is hooked up to the truck when trying the lights or you won't have proper ground and the lights won't work. A cheap auto electrical tester will check it out real easily - start at the plug on the truck and then, if all is good, hook the trailer to the truck and work your way back.

Don

Well, I'd tell you to run it over here and I'd fix it for you but then I saw where you were located LOL.

As carper said, "check the fuses" let us know if that is the problem.

The normal wireing for a trailer is:

White = ground

Brown = running lights

Yellow & Green = right and left signal as well as brakes.

Thanks alot guys. It was the fuse inside the cab for the Park Lamp/Trailer tow. Why cant they just call it the trailer running lights. I had to find my drivers manual to figure out what fuse was for what as it is not labelled in the truck. Haynes manual and the internet couldnt help me out. Lesson learned dont misplace drivers manual. Thanks