New Fishing Rod

Hey All,

I am getting a new rod in the next couple of weeks and I just thought I would see what brands people are favouring for quality and feel. I am going with either a 5'6" or 6'0" (max), it must be a 2 piece of equal length and preferably light action. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on a brand to check out?

I was looking at G. Loomis, St. Croix, and Shimano.

Does anyone have any great experiences or equally bad ones to share?

Edit: It has to be a spinning rod.

Edited by GreenCanada

As far as I know, neither the Extreme nor the Tournament are available in two piece. The shortest Extreme is 6'3" in Med. Light. The shortest Tournament is 6' light, one piece also. Shimano Compre has a two piece 6' Ultra Light. There are others as well.

Good luck.

I normally would recommend a croix or loomis (ESP the TSR series)

but I just scored a Rapala Classic Trout UL for around $60 at LeBaron, 2pc, 40million modulus, comes with a rod bag... I was impressed at the quality at this price point...

mind you I am coming from loomis (from crankbait series to GLX), Kistler LTX (zbone coming soon) and otger higher end rods

Edited by ah_long

I picked up a 6' Daiko Alkey light action 2-pc spinning rod at Gagnon Sports. At first I was very skeptical about the quality, given that it costs only $10 (on sale). But after catching fish from crappie to muskie in the last few weeks, I found that it has decent quality, is reasonably sensitive, and feels quite good in my hand. I'm sure some OFNers here must have also bought these rods during the yard sale. I saw some people bought 10+ of them! The rod is made in Japan and the package says the MSRP is ~11,000 yen, which is about $140 these days. Daiko used to be one of the top blank producers in Japan. Alkey is probably one of their lowest end models.

I also have a 1-pc 5'6" ML version and it caught me a 5lb 5oz walleye on Sat. Their ML rods seem stiffer and more powerful than other ML rods on the market though. More like a medium.

I don't think there is any Shimano light action rod that is 2-pc and under 6'6". I don't like their ultra light rods in general -- too whippy. See if you like the Avid, Premier or Triumph 60LF2 or Loomis TSR (I don't like any of them either -- all too whippy). I have a Rapala Magnum 5'6" 2-pc light action, and I find the action just right. And it's very cheap at around $25. But it has problem at the ferrule -- the tip section often comes off when making a cast. I also like the Fenwick Techna AV 6' L, but it only comes in 1 piece and it's discontinued anyway. The HMG still has a 5'3" L version, but only 1-piece.

I personally think that there is a gap in the light action rod department for all the major rod manufacturers out there. I have been trying to find a good 5'6" to 6' L rod without much success. The Daiko will do it for me, for now.

The three brands of rod you mentioned are all quality product.

A Stradic 1000FI would be a nice complement to any UL rod.

A Stradic would definitely be a nice complement to an UL rod. I am currently casting a Symetre 2500, which is a lot smoother than my old Abu Garcia Cardinal 3 was... :lol:

I really wonder why very few companies offer a 2 piece 6' light action spinning rod. The vast majority are 1 piece, which sucks if you travel a lot to fish.

I recently picked up a couple new spinning rods and reels, I thought I would mention them here for anyone interested in a decent spinning combo for $200 (rod $100, reel $100).

The rods are made by Temple Fork Outfitters but designed by Mr. Loomis himself and come with a lifetime warranty. I picked up a L and ML fast action, both 1-piece 7 foot (They also have 2-piece rods). I paired them to a 2000 size Cabelas Prodigy spinning reel. The combo feels very sensitive and lightweight and I look forward to christening them on Simcoe Whiteys this opener smiley2.gif

From what I can tell the reel is basically a Daiwa Team Advantage spinning reel branded for Cabelas smiley32.gif

Here's some links if you're interested.

http://templeforkout...ods/17-gary-loo mis-spinning-a-casting

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TFO-Gary-Loomis-Signature-Series-Freshwater-Spinning-Rod/1160435.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtemple%2Bfork%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dtemple%2Bfork&Ntt=temple+fork&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.c...y174-Spinning-R eel/1150678.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2F search%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dprodi gy%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All %2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3Dsear chForm%26search%3Dprodigy&Ntt=prodigy&WTz_l=Header%3 BSearch-All+Products

I heard they are coming out with a 13' float rod as well smiley32.gif

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I love my avid, but was not impressed when I had to pay 40$ just to ship it out to them when I broke it and that was 5 years ago, nowadays its probably more. I would go to your local tackle shops and ask how they handle warranty claims with the different brands. My local shop has a Shimano rep that comes by and picks up the rods, and if warranty claims are approved they ship the new rods out to the tackle shop. For example, my buddy broke my Compre last year and I got a new one for 8$ (shipping fee). Sometimes you might get lucky and the rep hand delivers the new rods back and you pay nothing. Something to keep in mind.

I always wondered about store brand reels. Does anyone know who makes the various BPS reels?

[/quoteo

Some of the BPS reels such as the Pro Qualifiers (and other similar reels) are made in the same factories as the Pure Fishing reels (Abu Garcia, Pflueger etc.). They have the same braking systems and body shape. There are others that are made specifically for BPS like the Team Daiwa Pro. I am unsure of any of the others.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

can't go wrong with st. croix although i haven't heard much in the way of how they handle warranty claims... i know shimano has a VERY good rep on this page for service and warranty...

Luc

Got my 'flame' suit on - pretty impressed with the Bass Pro Shop 'Bionic Blade' (I think) picked up on sale a few weeks ago.

No idea who makes them, but landed a large pike first day of the season with little trouble.

I bought one on sale a few years ago and it is a decent rod for the sale price,at full retail I would add 10-15 bucks and buy a Compre!

I recently picked up a couple new spinning rods and reels, I thought I would mention them here for anyone interested in a decent spinning combo for $200 (rod $100, reel $100).

The rods are made by Temple Fork Outfitters but designed by Mr. Loomis himself and come with a lifetime warranty. I picked up a L and ML fast action, both 1-piece 7 foot (They also have 2-piece rods). I paired them to a 2000 size Cabelas Prodigy spinning reel. The combo feels very sensitive and lightweight and I look forward to christening them on Simcoe Whiteys this opener smiley2.gif

From what I can tell the reel is basically a Daiwa Team Advantage spinning reel branded for Cabelas smiley32.gif

I heard they are coming out with a 13' float rod as well smiley32.gif

Tony

Thanks for the links Tony, I'll definitely check them out. *Edit* I just checked them out and the TLFS 603-2 is what I've been looking for in a rod for the last month or so. Does anyone have any experience with this brand yet? I'm almost sold, but the price seems low... not that I'm complaining ;)

I love my avid, but was not impressed when I had to pay 40$ just to ship it out to them when I broke it and that was 5 years ago, nowadays its probably more. I would go to your local tackle shops and ask how they handle warranty claims with the different brands. My local shop has a Shimano rep that comes by and picks up the rods, and if warranty claims are approved they ship the new rods out to the tackle shop. For example, my buddy broke my Compre last year and I got a new one for 8$ (shipping fee). Sometimes you might get lucky and the rep hand delivers the new rods back and you pay nothing. Something to keep in mind.

Yea, I've heard that the shipping cost for St. Croix warranty claims is outrageous. Though I do believe the shop I'm likely going to buy from (whatever it might be) ships out the rods themselves, so it either reduces or removes any cost associated with shipping. Which is a big big bonus.

I bought one on sale a few years ago and it is a decent rod for the sale price,at full retail I would add 10-15 bucks and buy a Compre!

I'm leaning towards the Compre right now, but I'm still heavily in the midst of choosing the best rod for me. It's taking a little while, but I'm not going to lie, I love researching fishing gear!! B)

Edited by GreenCanada

Oh, I met a store owner yesterday who compared a 6' okuma celilo ultralight to a Shimano Compre...

The only thing that bothered me is, that it has left me wondering what information or advice I should trust from him as I don't believe those two rods are really comparable...

Thoughts or Comments?