18,000 Lakers added to Lake O today

Ron

Rainbow trout...there populated enough, unless you really don't pay attention you should be doing pretty good out there catching them, is it as easy for lake trout? Are Lake trout more superior, in my eyes yes...sure they dont contribute to food money and government income but this dam world isnt about money, one os doing well as as you pointed .....they all spawn in the rivers like crazy...lake trout are sensitive and could use the help...quit ur bichi...oops :P

The thing is, not very many people will target lake trout in Lake O. But on the same note, rainbows aren't the biggest target out there either (open water) which is why I "was" assuming they haven't done any real stocking recently.

You might think there are a lot of trout in the rivers mike but if you had of fished them not even 10 years ago you would understand all the bichin lol.

I remember when I was 6 or 7, and I was fishing the creek near my house watching 30 trout swim back and forth across a fairly small pool in crystal clear water! Threw a spinner bait out that was in my tackle box, and let it sit on bottom cause I had no idea what the hell I was doing and sure enough a 3 or 4 pounder swam over to it and sucked it up! :clapping: If I only knew how to set the hook properly back then.... :wallbash:

Very cool stuff its amazing to watch and help out with these projects.

I was lucky enough to help out and witness this out in BC on the Vedder river years back I lost all the pics but did make a detailed post here I wonder if its still around as it was very cool to be there.

The thing is, not very many people will target lake trout in Lake O. But on the same note, rainbows aren't the biggest target out there either (open water) which is why I "was" assuming they haven't done any real stocking recently.

You might think there are a lot of trout in the rivers mike but if you had of fished them not even 10 years ago you would understand all the bichin lol.

I remember when I was 6 or 7, and I was fishing the creek near my house watching 30 trout swim back and forth across a fairly small pool in crystal clear water! Threw a spinner bait out that was in my tackle box, and let it sit on bottom cause I had no idea what the hell I was doing and sure enough a 3 or 4 pounder swam over to it and sucked it up! :clapping: If I only knew how to set the hook properly back then.... :wallbash:

Ya I kinda see where you are going, but you got to admit, guys did really well out there this spring...talked to a bunch up my neck of the woods...They should of helped the Rainbows years ago and maybe in the next few years again too...Switch it up year after year you know, Lake Trout this time then rainbow for the next 2 or 3 :P

Another government waste of money!what happened to stocking rainbows?The last major stocking was in the 70's and the run blossomed to almost 20000 fish for a few years in the ganny.I know it is basically put and take but I will bet some of you folks will remember catching them damn lake trout in the port hope harbour for a few years,they were a nuisance.What fish scraps better and runs up the streams in the spring,RAINBOW TROUT!Maybe should put a few walleye in the kawarthas also but no they are still wasting there time with atlantic salmon.WHAT A JOKE!

There have been regular stocking of rainbows and browns in the western basin with stocks from Normandale. However, the breaching of the dam a couple of years back, would have reduced recent efforts. That and the recent upgrades and reconstruction.

As for trying to put the fish in at night. It all depends on available resources of manpower. I've seen the tanker bring salmon in at night in Pt Dalhousie.

Great news Ron! I for one love fishing lakers on Lake Ontario. I am sure you know what I am talking about Ron.

For those still guessing why they are stocking in lake O, read back to Craig's post he nailed it.

Edited by Harrison

The atlantics are not a government project. it is a private venture with government approval if you don't like the atlantics complain but not to the government

Yupper. This one has been re-hashed way too many times.

One of the most unexpected and coolest catches for me was a 3-4 lb laker while fishing an eastern trib estuary late fall about 25 yrs. ago. These fish should give another person a bit of fun on L. Ontario in the future. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

One of the most unexpected and coolest catches for me was a 3-4 lb laker while fishing an eastern trib estuary late fall about 25 yrs. ago. These fish should give another person a bit of fun on L. Ontario in the future. Gonefishing.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

I remeber those crazy lakers running the Ganny 20 years ago.

All the steelheaders getting pissed off that lakers were running the river at the sametime. I didnt mind it was a fish that wanted to bite!

I wish they would increase the # of browns they plant as they dont get blown half way down the lake like the salmon do in the summertime after a big wind. Give shorebound anglers a better shot at trout more often as well.

I just wish the atlantics would start picking up, I caught one of the original plantings last year that was probably 14 pounds and the fight INSANE!!!!!! Nothing would be better then lots of big angry atlantics!

As for trying to put the fish in at night. It all depends on available resources of manpower. I've seen the tanker bring salmon in at night in Pt Dalhousie.

If it was within the last five years then it was volunteers, not the MNR. All of the salmon stocked on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario in the last five years were raised by Metro East Anglers and other volunteer groups.

Starting next year the MNR will take back the Chinook stocking and most likely end the coho stocking. It will most likely be back to day time stocking for salmon then.