Attic insulation and venting NF

radar

I have discovered the baffles in my attic in my relatively new to me house, are pretty much only decoration. The soffits are blocked. Anyone recommend an insulation company in Markham? Went in to do it myself but the angle of the roof makes it a pretty tough job from the inside. Not a job I particularly want to do myself.

Symptom was condensation at the peak. Water stains on the sheathing and running down the joists damaging the ceilings in two rooms on my second floor. Had the roofing guy in first. He was great helping me figure it out.

Hi Radar,

Not sure how much you want to take on here----I had the same issue years ago

Getting at those soffit vents were awful---what I did was

Cut in 4 roof vents and increased the size of my gable end vents---worked for me

We had that problem in our attic. Was a real mess and alot of $$$$$$ to fix. We had Avenue Road Roofing take out all the moldy and water soaked boards and replace them and put in a vented soffit and re-shingle, then had Knox Insulation out of Stouffville do the insulation.

Knox was very good at their job Knox Insulation

Hope this helps,

Joey

Thanks guys. I'm in the Markham area.

I think I'm ok with the wood. My roofer and I went through it really well. I had just added new vents when I did the roof last year. As for airflow,I have sufficient openings, they are plugged with fibreglass insulation. I want to cut that back, add baffles and thought I'd seal what I could while were in there..

PS my roofing guy is great. If anyone needs someone PM me.

Edited by radar

I have discovered the baffles in my attic in my relatively new to me house, are pretty much only decoration. The soffits are blocked. Anyone recommend an insulation company in Markham? Went in to do it myself but the angle of the roof makes it a pretty tough job from the inside. Not a job I particularly want to do myself.

Symptom was condensation at the peak. Water stains on the sheathing and running down the joists damaging the ceilings in two rooms on my second floor. Had the roofing guy in first. He was great helping me figure it out.

The shingles prematurely wore on my roof because of inadequate ventilation in the attic (too warm). I added a ridge vent when I had the roof redone and then removed soffit in a few places so I could clear the insulation to increase ventilation. It's not a fun job.

Dan O.

Is your house two stories? I'm assuming it is.

I've done this job before, and your right, it is a HUGE PITA, but it is a very important one that you need to get dealt with asap. Its such an easy thing to do right from the start, but once you have to go back and try to clear them its a real mother of a job.

Good luck!

S.