A lesson learned

GBW

So yesterday I was able to get out for a bit of the day and go fishing. I hooked up with young_one and off we went in search of rainbow’s and maybe a brown mixed in to change things up. We got to where we wanted to fish by 3:30PM and we were locating fish right away. Shortly after y_o’s friend joined us as well. I went 0 – 4 and learned a valuable lesson yesterday about fishing with a centerpin. Don’t set the hook like you do when bass fishing or you will break the fish off every time… :wallbash::wallbash:

I still remember my first time using a centerpin. I was learning/practicing how to do a side-cast back then.

MJL was coaching me and he told me to let go of the line once the rig is casted out. Lesson of the day back then was that ... let the hand that's holding the line go, and not the one holding the rod/reel. :wallbash:

I was lucky that I didn't ding up my reel lol

I never go lighter than 6 pound lead, and I'm usually closer to 8. With a decent flouro it is completely unnecessary to run lead that light.

thanks. Looks like I might have to had back to the store for some more floro before I go out again...

8LB main line with 2LB leader.

2lb leader? Wow man, the lightest I run is 4lb, and that's pushing it... I usually use 4lb Maxima mono for leader unless I'm fishing ultra gin clear water, then I'll run 4lb Froghair.

I think you've found your problem.. Leave the 2lb for panfish :) No need to use it for steelhead.

GBW: 4lb Maxima Ultra Green mono dude.. It's cheap and works great.

Edited by BillM

DIRTY WATER TO GIN CLEAR WATER I HAVE NEVER GONE UNDER A 6LB FLORO LEADER? WHY WOULD U??? MAKES NO DIFF. ITS FLORO. THE ONLY THING IS THE THINNER THE LINE THE LESS RESISTANCE AND FAST BAIT WILL FALL. GOIN THAT LIGHT AS WELL MEANS U REALLY HAVE TO PLAY THE FISH OUT LONGER AND THAT DOES MUCH MORE DAMAGE TO THE FISH AS WELL.

8LB main line with 2LB leader.

OMG ! Its a wonder your braking off fish. Nothing under 4 lb if using mono and 6lb for fluorocarbon...If the water is murky I just run main line to the hook and thats when when you can really apply a lot of resistance on bigger fish without the worry of brake offs.

I broke 2 of my 6LB pre-tied leaders and used borrowed leader line for the other 2 and because of how small it was I'm GUESSING it was 2LB.

Well if anything there is a good side to your day. You know you can hook up with them so your doing it all right but now a little refining on your hook set. See,its all good...Your not the only guy that has done this on a good day of hook ups. I watched my buddy hook into for in a row on his first outing with the his new float rod and broke every one of them off. A little coaching and his next couple of fish where landed :D

Hey there's not guess work in fishing Geoff.... it's all LUCK my friend! lol

LOL, you sure got that right... :whistling:

Well if anything there is a good side to your day. You know you can hook up with them so your doing it all right but now a little refining on your hook set. See,its all good...Your not the only guy that has done this on a good day of hook ups. I watched my buddy hook into for in a row on his first outing with the his new float rod and broke every one of them off. A little coaching and his next couple of fish where landed :D

yup, just need to work on a bit and I'll be landing more in no time. :Gonefishing:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

what kind of knot are you tying? i know some members of this forum will argue to the grave about it, but the (improved) clinch knot just isn't ideal for thin diameter fluoro.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i threw out a spool of leader last week because of a day like that. :wallbash:

the first two fish on 6lb smoked me badly, i switched to 4lb because it's all i had, and landed 4 in succession. :dunno:

what kind of knot are you tying? i know some members of this forum will argue to the grave about it, but the (improved) clinch knot just isn't ideal for thin diameter fluoro.

I'll second that. The improved clinch has always been my knot of choice, but I don't like it with fluoro.

i threw out a spool of leader last week because of a day like that. :wallbash:

the first two fish on 6lb smoked me badly, i switched to 4lb because it's all i had, and landed 4 in succession. :dunno:

I was out with another forum member in our pontoon boats. It was fish after fish. I just think I had the bad juju that day, lol...

I've used the same flouro afterwards and had zero issues.