Niagara River Chromers on Sunday

Aaron Shirley

I fished the lower Niagara in gale-force-plus winds on Sunday with a bud Joe. I filmed a great salmon show with Joe and the Barnes brothers last July, and it will be available to watch or download by tomorrow at surelyfishing.ca I knew the weather wasn't looking good for us Sunday, but I didn't care. I HAD to get out, I was getting the shakes from fishing withdrawls lol. I didn't have a chance to fish in weeks, and when we got to the river to find heavily stained water, I wasn't impressed. I was hoping that the dams were spitting out muddy water, and the water would be cleaner up river. It was, and we had a good few hours of steelhead fishing :) Although I only had the morning to fish, we did well with a dozen steelies in the boat, including some good fish. We tried several baits, but fresh bow roe was the ticket in dime-sized peach spawn net, with some on pink or orange.

The wind was so intense, I had my 80lb thrust trolling motor between 80 to 100 percent and still got blown off course badly. The harsh wind definitely wreeked havoc on good boat control, limiting opportunities. It's a good thing the fishing was so good to compensate :) The winds blew spray off waves over 50-feet at times! The wind was so severe I actually thought about packing it in... but the fish were biting lol :) The good thing was, we were fortunate to have dodged the rain and snow, until our drive back home. It was actually sunny for a good part of our fishing :)

Some photos from our day. We had to put our fish in the livewell and head to calm areas to take pics, as the wind was too crazy where we were fishing to take photos!

Niagara_04_2011_07.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_08.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_09.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_06.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_10.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_11.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_12.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_13.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_14.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_15.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_16.jpg

Niagara_04_2011_17.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

nice haul of fish Aaron! :worthy:

Here's what the stain looks like today

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid190.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz252%2Fwildniagara%2FApril18th2011.mp4">

Crazy stuff Aaron. I wondered if anyone would brave the weather last weekend. It paid off for you tho and you got your fishing itch scratched :thumbsup_anim:

Good job on the catching, especially in those conditions. Great report and pics bud.

Joey

Aaron, your Niagara reports are always a treat. Fishing like this is on my fishing bucket list for sure. I can never get over the nice turquoise colour of that water. If I didn't know better I'd say you were smashing steelhead in Cuba!

Thanks!