Sump or Condensate Pump?

motv8tr

Hey all, I know I've asked this before so I'll apologize for the repeat question. What is the difference between a Sump and Condensate Pump? Why is one better than the other? Here's the problem...the area under my house is very damp/wet, previous owners didn't help by the way the put up the insulation. I need to get the moisture out of there, hopefully I'll have a pump set up within 2 weeks.

A sump pump is the less expensive way to go, can I just dig a hole in the ground, put in a 5 Gal. bucket, hook up a hose from the de-humidifier to the bucket, set the sump into the bucket run a hose to outside and leave 'er be?

I don't know about hooking up a condensate pump, is it pretty much the same thing? It was suggested by someone here the I hook it into my septic pipe, I'm guessing to keep it away from the house? That isn't an option right now, I need time to find someone who can help me with that...in the meantime any suggestions???

Thanks

Maureen

I believe there are dehumidifiers that have a direct drain option. You can run a hose directly from them to the outside, as long as you are not trying to push uphill.

My dehumidifier does have that option, but it's at least 4 ft below ground level, so I need a motor to push it out, hence the sump/condensate pump requirement.

Maureen

I'm no plumbing expert, but from your description, it sounds like a simple sump pump is all that you need. The sump pump that I have at home works with a float switch so it only runs when enough water accumulates to cause the float to turn on the pump.

You'd want to make sure the bucket you put the hose in from the dehumidifer was stable as the sump pumps have a bit of a kick to them when they turn on (depending on horsepower of the unit)

Tony

the sump does seem to be the simple easy way to do it and if surface water ever becomes a problem some rainy day, it will clear up that problem too

I solve a moisture problem in a crawl space in a house by just spreading plastic on the ground and putting some rocks on it to hold it down

A condensate pump is a small unit made for pumping very small amounts of water from appliances such as high efficient furnaces or air conditioners. If there's no floor drain near by, the water produced by the appliance must be pumped uphill to the nearest drain. Don't use one for any other type of water removal. It's a light duty system made for occasional use. They're definitely not made for rain water removal.

Unless you have major water accumulation, a simple bathroom fan in the humid area will do wonders to remove humidity Mo. You can have it wired to a dehumidistat so that it only runs when the humidity is high in the affected area. Ventilation works wonders.

Also, turn off the water supply to your humidifier NOW. You don't need it in this mild weather.

Since you already have the dehumidifier then the sump pump idea with the pail would work just fine for now. You will need to hook it into your septic system before next winter though if you intend to run it after freeze up otherwise you run the risk of the output line freezing. Even that could be overcome by sloping the line downwards from inside the house at just enough angle to drain the line so that no water sits in it. You will also want to make sure that it drains well away from the house so it doesn't just seep back in and make sure that the output doesn't become blocked.