Bearing buddy help needed

Cosmos

Hi guys,

I have a question about bearing buddies - i bought a trailer with bearing buddies and seller told me that i will need to add some grease.

I went to Canadian tire today and got myself a grease gun. I put a cartridge in it (i had some mobil1 red grease cartridge 1/2 full). Test it - grease came out. Ok. I push that attachment to bearing buddy and try to squeze a handle - and i can't. It's not going. Ok. I tried to removed attachment - i did this, but it was really hard to remove it.

I check the bearings buddy web site - and it says there - if you can't move a piston - you need to add grease.

Can somebody explain to me what i am doing wrong?

Does it matter what kind of grease i am trying to add?

Thanks.

Sounds like the check ball is stuck in the grease zert...and it won't allow grease to go thru.

Once it's working.. you fill the bearing buddies until the spring loaded plate comes back about half way. Do not bottom the spring. If you can rock the plate there is sufficient grease in the hub to maintain the postive pressure to keep water out.

Sounds like the check ball is stuck in the grease zert...and it won't allow grease to go thru.

Sorry for stupid question - what I need to do to make it work?

Once it's working.. you fill the bearing buddies until the spring loaded plate comes back about half way. Do not bottom the spring. If you can rock the plate there is sufficient grease in the hub to maintain the postive pressure to keep water out.

I'm pretty sure the grease zert is just threaded into the spring loaded plate. Vise grips on the plate boss.. socket on the zert.. and remove it. Got to CTC and get a new one for a couple dollars.

I would be cautious as to how good the bearings are.... considering the previous owner obviously wasn't taking care of things!

Edited by irishfield

Lighter is not going to do anything.. a grease gun is capable of 3000 psi. Try pushing the check ball in with a scratch awl or screw driver. A light tap with a hammer may get it free.. but generally once a zert freezes up they're done and need to be replaced.

You have been given good advise.

Ignore it if you wish, but you have so far heard it from experienced guys.

The fitting on the bearing buddy has seized and won't allow grease through it.

That has suggested a lack of previous maintainence that gives you a clue to take everything apart to verify the rest of the parts are good.

Better to check in your driveway than the side of a highway.

You have been notified.

I can't replace everything, those bearing buddies were installed last year. Trailer was stored outside last winter.

Hope this helps. If you were closer,I would have it done for you in 1/2 hour.Ok maybe 1 hour.

http://www.tropicalboating.com/boating-equipment/repacking-trailer-wheel-bearings.html

Edited by Misfish

All great advice above...one other thing to try....loosen slightly the very end of the fitting on your grease gun that fits over the grease zerk/nipple. (Not the set of threads that attach the fitting to the gun stem or hose)

This may allow better fitting over the grease zerk and grease flow into it from the gun. The fitting should 'snap' on to the zerk and stay there.

Would also echo above comments on starting fresh with the bearing setup for peace of mind.

are you sure there is grease comming out of the grease gun ??? my buddy had the grease gun loaded wrong . and that was the problem for him . just a thought. OKAY IT WAS ME.

Edited by mrpike

Hi guys,

Just an update:

I heated up the ends with lighter and used a really small screwdriver to push inside. This worked for me. I was able to add grease after that without any problem.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Edited by Cosmos