Found a Buck's Skull (NF)

danjang

I was working out in Prince Edward county and came across a nearly complete skeleton of a buck. I figured it wasn't a carcass left behind by a hunter and it must have died of natural causes. I took the skull home and I would like to prepare it for a mount. Does anyone have any experience with this? It looked like it had been there for at least 2 years but I am no expert how long things take to decompose. I saw nothing inside the brain case other than some spiderwebs and a bit of dirt. Thanks!

Here it is.

img0214zj.jpg

Ive done a couple European head mounts in my day. If all the flesh is gone and the brain cavity is empty then boil the skull in water/Dawn dish detergent solution for a couple hours. Then take a brush and scrub off anything loose like dirt or remaining bits of material. Pick out any loose material from inside the scull as well. Now prepare a bleach and water solution and soak scull for another 24 hours. Make sure to tape off the antlers where they meet the scull so they don't get bleach on them. Just submerge the scull in the bleach up to where the antlers begin.Let sit and dry for a couple days. Now get white epoxy appliance

paint from Walmart. Tape off the antlers completely this time and spray bomb generously inside and out. Let it dry and then give it another coat. This will give the scull a white plastic appearance and will last forever.

EuroScullProject061-1.jpg

Good Luck !!

I've surveyed a lot of land and this is the first I've come across a deer skeleton or even antlers. I was going nuts when I stumbled across this!

Ive done a couple European head mounts in my day. If all the flesh is gone and the brain cavity is empty then boil the skull in water/Dawn dish detergent solution for a couple hours. Then take a brush and scrub off anything loose like dirt or remaining bits of material. Pick out any loose material from inside the scull as well. Now prepare a bleach and water solution and soak scull for another 24 hours. Make sure to tape off the antlers where they meet the scull so they don't get bleach on them. Just submerge the scull in the bleach up to where the antlers begin.Let sit and dry for a couple days. Now get white epoxy appliance

paint from Walmart. Tape off the antlers completely this time and spray bomb generously inside and out. Let it dry and then give it another coat. This will give the scull a white plastic appearance and will last forever.

Good Luck !!

Thanks for the info. Does anything need to be done to the antlers? Also, where can I find the actually wooden mount for the skulls. Is there anywhere in Torontoish area I can find one?

I'll definitely post the completed project! It won't be for a while though. Going to wait for better weather to do the cooking. Don't think the fam would appreciate me boiling that thing in the house lol.

Thanks for the info. Does anything need to be done to the antlers? Also, where can I find the actually wooden mount for the skulls. Is there anywhere in Torontoish area I can find one?

You can get one at BPS,but IMO,it would look best laying on a coffee table or corner table.RUSTIC/WESTERN.

GREAT CONVERSATION PIECE.

Edited by Misfish

I've surveyed a lot of land and this is the first I've come across a deer skeleton or even antlers. I was going nuts when I stumbled across this!

I'll definitely post the completed project! It won't be for a while though. Going to wait for better weather to do the cooking. Don't think the fam would appreciate me boiling that thing in the house lol.

As far as I can see mother nature has already taken care of mostly everything for you. I boiled a fresh skull in the house at the stove with the ventalation fan on and didn't stink up the house but then again it was fresh. As for the antlers,just clean them up and keep them natural.

The mount is personal preference. I would just google "European skull mounts" and look around at some of the stuff they are mounting their skulls on and then just make your own...