Boat theft deterrence

alphaalpha

Insure for full value!! Having Marine Expert as insurance company and living in Quebec mandatory to have Amp locks installed as well as amp bolts that fasten hitch onto trailer arm. If not then only covered for 25% of value!!

Sitting here looking at the folding trailer tongue thread , I thought, maybe it would be a simple task to pull the hinge pin on the folding tongue, guess you would have to have an addition plug maybe for electrical, not having a folding tongue trailer don't know if this is feasible, but storing the short hitch portion in the house would make the tongueless trailer even more difficult to steal. Maybe this would work :dunno:

Insure your boat for full replacement value, and put a lock on the hitch. Beyond that, you can do some of the other things that are mentioned but ultimately, if a thief wants it bad enough, he'll get it otherwise he'll bugger it up in a failed attempt. Don't leave your gear in it. Lock that in the house or garage.

If you've got a bowmount trolling motor, look into a quick connect plate which has holes for locks predrilled. Somewhat of a deterrent on an easy to take part of the boat. Also the quick connect allows easy removal of the motor if you're really worried about it.

Don't leave your kicker on the boat. The thrutransom theftproof bolts are NOT theftproof.I also remove the GPS & wireless.Use a hitch lock and park a vehicle in frontt of trailer if possible.For winter storage I jack up the trailer and leave it on blocks

makes it a little harder to steal.---

Lots of good answers here...

insure it

cover it up with a tarp (boat and motor)

lock for motor

lock for coupler

wheel lock/boot

chain/cable thru frame and locked to something secure

leave absolutely nothing valuable in it (electronics, etc)

The routine of doing all these tedious steps after every trip is a real PITA, but worth it... way less hassle than dealing with an insurance claim.

Edited by Fisherpete

get a boat nobody else would want (ie something you might have seen Relic drive on The Beachcombers)

This has been my answer ,i have never had a problem ,i try and shine it up and still nobody will take it ,not sure why but it works for me ,maybe they heard of all the repairs i put into engine and they dont want the headache of it.. oh well it aint pretty but it works for me .. ,most locks are for the honest thieves ,and the professionals will take it no matter what you do..