Older outboard vs newer?

Black_Blade

While browsing boats for sale on kijiji, I got to wondering. Would it be better to pick up and older motor and have it refurbished and tuned up or buy something new or a few years old?

It is not uncommon to see old motors in excess of 30 years old, still running like a top. They were built to last. Not many newer products are built quite that rugged...companies being more interested in making money from either sales of parts or completely new units.

You would have to weigh the pros and cons I guess of old motors being harder on fuel than the more fuel efficient modern ones...would the savings in fuel outweigh the costs of motors having to be serviced more often because of the parts not lasting as long?

I thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion and look forward to hearing opinions.

if you know motors and on a budjet i would go with merc /evinrude/johnson.

but only if you know how to do more than basic service on older engines.

this could leav you with more to spend on the boat itself.

other wise buy the new engine and look at upgrading your boat later.

hope this helps.

salty.

Great thread.thumbsup_anim.gif

I supose you would have to look also at availability of parts also.Fuel efficiancy is a definate advantage to newer, as well as pollution concerns,oil and fuel leakage.For those 2 reasons alone, i would probably consider the newer motor over the older one.Just my uneducated opinion thoughrolleyes.gif

There may be an older outboard out there that would be a good purchase.

But there certainly will be a risk involved.

With the recent economic downturn, many companies have trimmed costs by eliminating parts availability for engines more than 10 years old...or in some cases even less than 10 years.

If going used for an everyday engine my thoughts would be to look for something no more than 5 years old that has been used little and maintained.

A rebuild on some of the larger engines can cost up to 5 grand depending on the parts required. And a bad lower unit could be close to the same.

There may be an older outboard out there that would be a good purchase.

But there certainly will be a risk involved.

With the recent economic downturn, many companies have trimmed costs by eliminating parts availability for engines more than 10 years old...or in some cases even less than 10 years.

If going used for an everyday engine my thoughts would be to look for something no more than 5 years old that has been used little and maintained.

A rebuild on some of the larger engines can cost up to 5 grand depending on the parts required. And a bad lower unit could be close to the same.

Could also look at that move by the companies as a great opportunity for them to force people away from the old ones that just don't die. Companies that stand by and watch how Microsoft continually forces its customers to keep on buying the latest and greatest and try to figure out a way to get in on that action as well...

Probably not that simple Craig.

There were some older engines that were actually not all that bad on fuel consumption.

I'm not sure what HP that BB has in mind either.

Just from my experience I remember when the first 50 HP twins came along in the early 70's that were able to stretch out a can of gas much better than any engine I had used before.

And Those 9.9 and 15 models would troll for a long time on a fiver and they also packed a lot of wide open punch in a little package.

My advise direction to BB was more aimed at the larger engines where 4 or more pistons can really add up a repair bill.

Edit.

They all will need work at some point in time BB. None of them are indestructible.

Most of the really common parts are still available.

I just redid an old 1957 18 and we had the water pump, carb kit and a few other tidbits. Fortunately that's all it needed. Can't buy a headgasket for them anymore.

Edited by Bernie

in order to get solid advice i think you heve to be more specific.

how big is the boat?

and engine.

and will it fit into your maitenance budjet or skills?

nothing worse than having somthing go wrong on a big body of water.

just my thoughts.

Gonefishing.gif

Also there may be some parts availability problems for engines manufactured in Japan.

I know that Honda and Yamaha have had some of their plants damaged from the earthquake and is causing delays getting some parts.

Sorry if my advise isn't "solid"

Edited by Bernie

I really didn't have an engine size in mind when making the post, just wanted a general discussion on the merits of the old die hards vs the newer models that have yet to stand the test of time.

My budget right now is such that I have another year planned with the sportspal and my little '74 4 HP Seahorse, which is an excellent little motor (which may be what inspired my thread). But I always cruise the ads and do my drolling...I mean dreaming....lol.

Also there may be some parts availability problems for engines manufactured in Japan.

I know that Honda and Yamaha have had some of their plants damaged from the earthquake and is causing delays getting some parts.

Sorry if my advise isn't "solid"

you advice is not in question.!

i was simply trying to find out what class of boat and motor we are discussing?

i personaly understand your posts and do not dismiss your advice.

salty.

thumbsup_anim.gif