how much is it worth?

BFSC Kevin

At that age I would look at what kind of condition it was in. If properly maintained and low hours it would be worth the $500 bucks. If not maintained and beat up it is worth nothing. A quick visual check-starter rope,is it badly worn? The engine itself- oil coated and dirty or nice and clean? Is the throttle and tiller handle nice and smooth or loose as a goose? The shift lever move easily? ( sometimes you need to turn the prop by hand to align the gears) Ask the seller if you can take it to a reputable mechanic to give it a quick checkover. If he refuses -dont buy it. If he accepts, a few bucks checking it out may save you some money. Just a few things off the top of my head here but you should get the idea.

As with any market, it's a supply / demand issue. Most people selling something used insist the item is worth more than it really is and those looking to purchase insist it's worth less. That being said, I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 for a 20+ year old outboard in the 10 hp or lower category. On the other hand, if someone was offering one for less than $100, I'd be highly suspicious of condition. Today, I know where to lay hands on an 88 Buick, certified, for $1000. Look around and you'll find deals.

Kevin I sold my 1980 Honda 7.5hp for $650.00 3 yrs ago it ran like new.

Not to long ago you were talking about picking up a 9.9hp and now you are looking at 5hp.

Spend a bit more money and find a 9.9hp.

5hp on a 12 foot tinny will go very slow.

I run an 8hp on my 12 foot tinny and I would still prefer a 9.9.The Maximum horsepower allowed.

Go bigger its better.

MTP

Not too steal the thread by any means but watch out for lots of older engines going on Sale soon. With the new gas regs in Ontario 10% eth could eat away at some older seals making them need replaceing sooner.

I would not pay $500 for a 80's engine under 9.9.. consider getting one used from the USA lots to get and much cheaper

Theres a big difference in the 5hp and the 8hp as your going from a single to a twin. there are some outboards out there that are used on rag haulers and have very low hrs on them and have more resale value.

I paid 800 for a 8 hp yami 2 st. because it only had a half lt of oil through it and it was clean as brand new. It was used to take a small sailboat in and out of the harbor for a few years.

Hey kev! I got a shock at the Toronto show few weeks back. I have a 1956 (mint) 5 1/2 seahorse. Run's amasing. I asked the dealers what ist worth? $100.00 if u r lucky u may get upwards to $300.00.... I told him he was nuts, but thats how it is. If i sold it for 500.00 I would never get a kicker, any yr,that runs that good to replace it. So hold on, use it....Only way to get a fair buck out of it. Its a shame, but i'm going to run mine till it puks. Should be in a collection somewhere. Sal