outboard motor problem

shurik_muff

hello guys.

i have spend half a day trying to start an outboard 90hp motor, nissan 1994. boat was siting since last july. at first, when trying to run the motor, flyweel was starting to spin, but the motor wouldnt start. it happened before, most of the time when boat was cold. after lets say 5-10 try, the motor would start, warm up and no problem for the rest of the day.

here is the real problem. i tried to run the motor over 20 times. then every time i turn the ignition, i hear click and thats it. is it possible that the starter died???? is there a way to check, troubleshoot the starter? i borowed a battery from friend, will charge it fully and try again. in the mean time, pulling my hair out.

if anyone had experience with this, please help. i wanna avoid goind to mechanic if its something small.

thanks

Sounds like a dead battery. I'm not a mechanic, but this is what I would do. Hook up battery cables to a charged battery, connect positive end to main lead on starter then touch the other to the starter casing. It should push the starter wheel out if the starter is working correctly. Check all connections if the starter is working. Maybe the solinoid is gone????

here is the real problem. i tried to run the motor over 20 times. then every time i turn the ignition, i hear click and thats it.

You killed the battery for sure. Give it a charge and try again. If it normally takes 10 tries to start, make sure you have a good battery at all times. New plugs may help.

If you spent half a day spinning the starter over there is a very good possibility you may have overheated the starter and burned it out.

Starters draw a lot of energy and much of it turns into heat. eventually it can melt internal parts and short out.

Always give it time to cool after extended cranking.

This advise pertains to all starting motors.

However...like many of the folks have said already, batteries only have so much energy stored, connections (both power & grounds) can burn and go open circuit and solenoids can also develop bad contacts.

Edited by Bernie

If you spent half a day spinning the starter over there is a very good possibility you may have overheated the starter and burned it out.

Starters draw a lot of energy and much of it turns into heat. eventually it can melt internal parts and short out.

Always give it time to cool after extended cranking.

This advise pertains to all starting motors.

However...like many of the folks have said already, batteries only have so much energy stored, connections (both power & grounds) can burn and go open circuit and solenoids can also develop bad contacts.

thank you all for replies.

today i gave a little hit to the starter cover (something i read on other posts). now with ignition on, it starts to spin, just not enough to start the motor. some times i can hear empty spin. also, its good for 3-4 tries. then again, clicking with out spining. i hope it makes sence. could it be worn out brashes?????

just in case its bad, can it be rebuild?

Sounds first of all like a weak battery. Get yourself a brand new battery, a marine battery, not a car battery, there IS a big difference in the way they are built. Next, put some new spark plugs in the motor. Empty your gas tank if the gas is over 6 months old and refill it with fresh gas and mix with the correct amount of oil if applicable. Now you can try to start it again and see how it runs. If it still doesn't run right, take it to a marine mechanic to be looked at.

Good Luck!!

thank everyone for help. it was starter after all. i was trying to find parts for it, to repair myself, but unfortunally, some companies monopolize their product, leave you no choice but to buy from them only, and for astronomical prices. i was given option to pay 570 for starter, 100 for order, and 60 for TESTING their new product. isnt that should be a given... you buy brand new working 100% part. any waays, to make the story short, i found a very nice older man, who fixes starters for cars. i couldnt fix starter myself, no parts....he also couldnt get the bloody brashes and one more thing (forgot english name for it). mechanic, found a warehouse, some what wasnt suprise for me, that holds and ships to missan dealer. basically, i payed 260+hst with delivery to the door in half an hour. and i hardly convinsed denis to take a few bucks for his service. unbeliavable, but these guys still exist.

5 minutes to install, and the boat started first try no problem.

ps

in states its much cheaper to buy, but delivery and time for shiping is to long. like for everyhting else, i need it wright away before i loose the will to do something.

Edited by shurik

At least you've got it working now Shurik.

I've got an old style starter rebuild "shop" down the road from me... I haven't stumped him yet in 25 years, giving him everything from a Zetor tractor to an Airplane starter. He, and his father before him, always makes them work.... with usually a complete rebuild for under $50.

At least you've got it working now Shurik.

I've got an old style starter rebuild "shop" down the road from me... I haven't stumped him yet in 25 years, giving him everything from a Zetor tractor to an Airplane starter. He, and his father before him, always makes them work.... with usually a complete rebuild for under $50.

2 bad this guys do not have google adds.