Moving to Toronto

Shaun98si

So it looks like I may be moving from Montral to Toronto for work. I have been looking at areas like "The beaches" and Etobicoke to rent as I don't want a super long commute to the city centre (Adelaide west).

One big problem is that I own a 16ft PrinceCraft and would hate to have to leave it in Montreal. I assume parking it at the place I rent will be next to impossible. I have never even been out there and am wondering first if my boat will be ok on big Lake Ontario. And second what would my options be for storage? I don't want to rent a slip as my boat takes on a bit of water and its probably very pricey. Are there any places that would allow me to store my boat on a trailer so I could just grab it and launch it when I want to go out on the lake for a decent pice? Sorry but I'm completely lost when it comes to Toronto.

Thanks for any help!

There is a dry dock marina at Bluffers park, at the bottom of brimley Rd in scarborough. You keep your boat there on a trailer, and when you want to go out, you have your own private launch. google bluffers park marina. hope this helps

Great fishin out from the bluffs too by the way

Which model of Princecraft do you own? I have had my Holiday DLX Side Consol on Lake Ontario and felt safe. Obviously you won't want to be out there on a really windy day.

Are you looking at renting a house? If you rent a house in an older part of Etobicoke it may have room for a boat. It may technically against the by-laws to store it but if nobody complains you will be fine. Most people don't bother complaining, but it only takes one to screw up your plans.

Awesome thanks Guys. I will check out Bluffers as soon as I find out where I will be living.

Chances are I will be renting just a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. The price difference between MTL is HUGE. I pay 550$ right now for a 2 bedroom. Looks like I will be paying double that in Toronto.

The boat is a older Princecraft Pro 162SC. Like you said I will just have to make sure I go out on the nicer days. It will be a big change fishing out there. I'm used to casting to shores and weed beds on Lake St Francis. I guess on Lake O its more about finding flats and drops in open water?

A few alternatives:

-rent self - storage space for boat/trailer at some place on your way out of town - to the east Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa - google will show a few places. You could then launch at any number of lakes/rivers in the area picking up your boat as you go.

-rent seasonal dock space at places an hour or so out of Toronto, Lake Simcoe, Scugog (access to Trent system)maybe Peterborough/Ottonobi River etc. so that you can skip out of city after work or on weekends.There are many marinas that rent space.

-while locating according to job is important, would live where it is easiest to get out of Toronto!

If you end up in the Beaches your only a couple minutes from Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club on Lake Ontario.

I don't know if they'll allow you to keep a small boat there or not but they have a huge storage yard where they keep alot of large sailboats for the winter.

Might be worth a try.

http://www.abyc.on.ca/

Also in the Beaches your within walking distance of the streetcar line that'll take you straight into the downtown core.

For ashbridges you will need a harbor license to operate a motorized vessel...It is called the Power Vessel Operator permit.. you can check it here...http://www.torontoport.com/port_permits_intro.asp

I think you need one if you operate a boat anywhere from victoria park to humber river and 1 mile or kilometer out from shore?