carp bait

just wondering what you guys are using to land those golden giants

ive been leaning pretty heavy on dynamite baits monster tiger nut boilies

i also like maize

and im gunna try dynamite baits- spicy tuna and sweet chili this season... ive read that it works well... especialy in cold water...

im also gunna try groundbait this year for something new...

mike

For hook bait I boil corn in water with anise and strawberry koolaid crystals. For my ground bait I use a mixture of pig chop, calf starter, molasses,chicken scratch and linseed oil cake.And I mix it up with the saved water from boiling the corn.

This combo catches me carp all season long in the Kawartha's.

Sight fishing with a Woolly Worm Fly is my favorite bait/technigue. The only down side to this method

is that the conditions have to be perfect.

1) Proper depth of water so you can see them stiring up bottom - 1 to 3 feet

2) The water can't to be too clear or dirty

3) A very slow moving pool

3) The carp should to be in feeding mode

The perfect spot.

dsc01399l.jpg

dsc01395z.jpg

I use my 4wt to target the smaller fish in the 2-5lb range. This year I may get a 7wt to go after the big guys and will also use the same set up for Steelhead.

The entire year is ahead of us!

Tight Lines everyone.

Laszlo

For hook bait I boil corn in water with anise and strawberry koolaid crystals. For my ground bait I use a mixture

of pig chop, calf starter,

molasses,chicken scratch and linseed

oil cake.And I mix it up with the

saved water from boiling the corn.

I love strawberry kook-aid on my corn...

Does that groundbait you use break up nice in the water... ?

how do you find all these ingredients... i have a hard time finding small feed were i live... or do you grind up the larger chunks of feed?

Edited by Musky Mike

Actually in April and May fishing for smallies in the back bays of lake Erie. Regardless of what most people think they are vacuum cleaners, they will eat anything that is convenient as a food source.

Huge schools of them here, they will get into an area and muddy the water up rooting in the bottom like pigs. It can get the crawfish moving around in an area, which is why we hit those areas, it also attracts smallies. When you set the hook on a 25-60 pound carp though the "feel" is a bit different.

As long as the water is cool, 50-60 degrees, they are sort of sluggish, it is easy to follow them around in the boat with the electic motor and land them on fairly light tackle. Late May and June here they are starting the spawn and lauching themselves into the air, far more active, and they head for anything in the water once hooked. Using a medium action spinning rod and 8-10 pound test line just means they will break you off once they get to docks or wood.

For hook bait I boil corn in water with anise and strawberry koolaid crystals. For my ground bait I use a mixture of pig chop, calf starter, molasses,chicken scratch and linseed oil cake.And I mix it up with the saved water from boiling the corn.

The ingredients that CPH uses for groundbait and the maise can be purchased at most feed dealers...

I use twice as much chicken scratch as I do the others ingredients...

Dampen the mixed dry ingredients with the water from the boiled maise but only as much as you would use in the immediate future...

Carp shy away from the mouldy mixture...seem to prefer it fresh...

I tend to let my corn ferment some...

Nothing like a drunken 20 lb carp pulling on your string...whistling.gif

Edited by Beans

Like Beansie mentioned all ingredients are purchased at local feed stores in either 25 or 40 KILO bags.

My groundbait mixture is 3 parts molasses,3 parts Linseed oil cake, 2 parts calf starter and 1 part pig chop and 1 part chicken scratch. Because I use very little pig chop or chicken scratch a 40 kilo bag of these last me 3-4 seasons. The other stuff lasts a full season per bag.

And if the fishing is slow.. u have lunch too :blush:

The ingredients that CPH uses for groundbait and the maise can be purchased at most feed dealers...

We use twice as much chicken scratch as we do the others ingredients...

Dampen the mixed dry ingredients with the water from the boiled maise but only as much as you would use in the immediate future...

Carp shy away from the mouldy mixture...seem to prefer it fresh...

I tend to let my corn ferment some...

Nothing like a drunken 20 lb carp pulling on your string...whistling.gif

"trigger"" lol

i use DELMONTE corn on a small bait hook and then covered up in a bread ball. I then put a couple of split shots about a footup the line, and watch for any movement on the line.

Simple...and very effective

I am not sure how much carping you do, but maybe you should invest in a bait-runner.

I`ve lost few rods to carp while waiting for that tip to bounce up and down. These guys grab the bait and run.

I am not sure how much carping you do, but maybe you should invest in a bait-runner.

I`ve lost few rods to carp while waiting for that tip to bounce up and down. These guys grab the bait and run.

My hand never leaves the rod ...

First time out with my buddy, he told me about that....and then we watched a teenager , down the bank, lose his rod moments later :(

I keep the bail open on my spinning rod as well.

My hand never leaves the rod ...

First time out with my buddy, he told me about that....and then we watched a teenager , down the bank, lose his rod moments later :(

I keep the bail open on my spinning rod as well.

Unless you are the most vigilant rod/line watcher on the planet...if you do any amount of carping at all for decent sized carp...you are going to lose a rod/reel one of these days with a set up like that. If you have not already you are extremely lucky

I find single CUKK corn on a hair rig with #14 hook the best for carp < 8lb, especially with a feeder rod. These CUKK corn kernels are tough enough to deter the unwanted species while attractive enough for carp.

For bigger fish I use single giant corn (white or yellow, but I prefer white) as hook bait most of the time, when that doesn't work, there are always tiger nuts to the rescue.

My experience tells me it's never the hook bait that catches you more fish, it's all in the feeding (assuming you got the location right). Just talking from my experience and I don't have to be right.

Our Carp here are nowhere near as skeptical of baits as they are in the UK. There really is no reason to use any bait other than regular boiled whole Corn. I've tried most and have found absolutely zero difference in the catch rate. I always use 2 whole kernels and 2 floating Corn. Sits up straight everytime ready to be sucked in.

Can't wait for my first run!

RJ

Our Carp here are nowhere near as skeptical of baits as they are in the UK. There really is no reason to use any bait other than regular boiled whole Corn. I've tried most and have found absolutely zero difference in the catch rate. I always use 2 whole kernels and 2 floating Corn. Sits up straight everytime ready to be sucked in.

Can't wait for my first run!

RJ

dont you find your average carp is smaller on the smaller baits like corn???

im not saying you cant catch large carp on small baits... but if your sifting threw little guys all day your bait wont be in the water as much as if you used a big bait

i went from corn to 20mm boilies and my average size of carp shot threw the roof... however... my number of fish caught dropped slightly... i then tried double boilie set up and my average size went up again!

my theory is that if smaller fish (10lbs and less) arent able to take in your bait so easily... then it will give the big boys im after (25lbs and up) a lot more time to take your bait...

MM

A ten pound carp can take a pretty big bait if it wants it. You are on the St. Lawrence so you know there are carp there over 50 lbs. If it is them you are after I would spend some time researching. Talk to guys, look for big fish in certain areas.

Also another tactic for bigger fish is to fish beside your baited area. If you put a bunch of boiled corn out as chum and you get carp feeding in it , try casting 5 or 10 yards outside that area. I have caught bigger fish doing this. The bigger fish are less aggressive and less competitive for food. So they don't mix it up with the smaller fish milling about over your bait.

You can also try float fishing for them. A lot of big carp here in Ontario have fallen to good float fisherman. I think one of the reasons is again that big fish are less aggressive and are more vulnerable to finesse tactics. If you chum with boiled field corn just use single piece as hookbait.

Hope this helps.

MM

A ten pound carp can take a pretty big bait if it wants it. You are on the St. Lawrence so you know there are carp there over 50 lbs. If it is them you are after I would spend some time researching. Talk to guys, look for big fish in certain areas.

Also another tactic for bigger fish is to fish beside your baited area. If you put a bunch of boiled corn out as chum and you get carp feeding in it , try casting 5 or 10 yards outside that area. I have caught bigger fish doing this. The bigger fish are less aggressive and less competitive for food. So they don't mix it up with the smaller fish milling about over your bait.

You can also try float fishing for them. A lot of big carp here in Ontario have fallen to good float fisherman. I think one of the reasons is again that big fish are less aggressive and are more vulnerable to finesse tactics. If you chum with boiled field corn just use single piece as hookbait.

Hope this helps.

i usualy dont fish on much bait... 5-10 boilies spread out... and 5-10 every time i get a fish

the only time i fish on a lot of bait is when i wanna do some pasty bashing... thats usualy when i fish corn...

my pb with corn is only 27lbs... but with boilies i get several 30lb+ fish every spring... boilie pb is 36lb 12oz...

and the locations i fish corn are known for having large fish in them... one of the fish i have spotted on several occasions was around the 40lb mark...

i will try fishing outside the "zone"... cant hurt

Edited by Musky Mike