Night shifts are getting to me

limeyangler

Simon, you do realize that there are resources available to you to prevent things like that from happening...One of which is called OFC chat. Usually there is someone more sane than you to help you along with the healing process. You've already made the first step by accepting the fact that you have a problem :good:

I love nightshifts.

I'm a maintenance electrician at a mine. I'm there at night strictly to do running repairs, should the need for any arise. Usually everything runs just fine and I'm expected to just stay out of the way. Some nights I get into a real jackpot, but usually boredom is the biggest problem I face during a shift. They call me if they need me and as long as I make myself available then, no one cares what I do the rest of the time. Occasionally my boss will leave me with a small construction job or some inspections to perform, and I'll always look for things to do, but the demands on my time are not significant most nights.

I'd work steady nights (I do 5 on 4 off, 4 on 5 off days/nights rotation now) except that there are not any real OT opportunities on that shift.

One odd thing...sometimes when I'm underground in the mine and look at my watch I have to stop for a second and think, "Is that am or pm?" That's a really odd feeling when it happens.