Fixing your 70 series Jiffy Auger, by a back yard hack!

irishfield

While using my auger over the last week it was getting more and more dangerous. The auger would either stay engaged after letting go of the throttle, or just as you'd set it down running so the next guy could use it the auger would re-engage and it would run away. Came to the point it was just staying engaged and was predicatable, so we kept using it vs breaking a sweat to use the manual!

I tore it apart today. Not much to be scared of in their folks if you are having issues with yours. Pull the 4 bolts that hold the handles on first.. get them out of the way and then pull the remaining 2 bolts.

Here is the housing off and the main driven gear and shaft. The small bearing in the housing is supposed to support the end of the drive shaft that the engine runs with centrifugal "brake" shoes.

jauger1.jpg

What I found is that when Jiffy assembled the auger there wasn't enough of the drive shaft engaged into the lower support bearing and it wore/rounded the end of the shaft off. This allowed the shaft, now supported by only the top bearing, to tip back and forth. Explains how it started out engaging when laying the auger down... shaft tipped and it's drive cup touched the centrifugal shoes engaging same.

jauger2.jpg

jauger3.jpg

jauger6.jpg

jauger4.jpg

So I was originally going to weld/build up steel and then turn the end of the shaft to fit the bearing, but I found I could just punch it out of the clutch hub. I then turned it around and pressed it back in but about 1/4" less than originally found for more engagement into the support bearing.

jauger7.jpg

I then TIG'd a couple blobs in the spline to keep it from going in any deeper, but I can still knock the shaft out if I have to replace it again at a later date.

jauger9.jpg

Tapped the upper bearing back down into place

jauger8.jpg

Greased up that driven gear plate like I'd found it on disassembly..

jaugera.jpg

and put it all back together. Runs like a charm again !!

Edited by irishfield