Fishing The Niagara River

Live2fish85

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in where the best and safest place to launch a boat in the lower Niagara is. I have never fished the Niagara which is sad seeing as I grew up 20 mins from it. But my friend and I just got a new boat and we want to get out and get some nice fish. But as we aren't to familiar with the Niagara and I know how dangerous it can be down there I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Chris

May I suggest for your first time out you hire a guide? There are a few that launch out of the Queenston ramp.

I did so last year and the devil holes drift is quite a ride once the water starts rising mid morning. It is also a very different technique for fishing than I ever experienced.

The artpark and queenston drifts are less intense, but there is some etiquette that the boats seem to try and follow as they head back up to the top of the drift.

i would for sure go and hire a guide , if your a new boater and new to the river, there is alot to know and look for , if you dont want to hire a guide i would wait till spring when the ice and logs and picnic tables are done floating down river out to the lake

See link for a bit of background on both the Upper and Lower. I mostly fish the Kawarthas so the Upper is more like what I am used to. The falls play on you the first couple of times out but you get used to it after a few visits. The river can get surprisingly rough between wind and current - be sure to know your boat and it's limits. Have caught a couple of small musky in addition to bass, perch etc but no trophies yet. I usually launch at the old Shipyard Marina on Niagara Parkway (2400 Niagara Parkway, Fort Erie) - it is a good launch protected from current and wind.

http://www.niagara-f...ra-fishing.html

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as was suggested, hiring a guide might be worth it.. while it would seem expensive at first, getting a feel for how to handle the river while also getting important location/technique tips might save you an accident AND going through the growing pains of learning how to fish a complex waterway. most guides are worth every penny.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

As one has mentioned the lower esp, is a complex waterway to navigate and fish.At this time of year right up to early spring you will be dealing with ice flows(not my cup of tea).

I have fished from shore for many years, but this year ive experienced it many of times by boat(first year rookie).

The devils hole i will never hit with my boat, only with a reputable guide.

The ramp area, there are big eddies in there so beware with a small or shallow hull boat(it can be scary, I know), the back current will drag you right into them.

1/3 way down with strong winds can create a shift in current with white caps that develop.

The mouth, o boy, thats a mixed bag for sure, esp if your in the niagara bar . If trolling do your home work. Esp in tempermant weather.The niagara bar topo map is available on line for free.

So all in all, make sure everything is 100%in the boat, and have a radio handy.

Ive personally had one mishap in a friends boat this year on the lower.Thank god I packed my radio and extra ropeworthy.gif .

I hope this helps in some manner.

Hi All, thanks for your help with the advice from all of you its safe to say that I won't be venturing out, I have been driving a boat since I was a kid growing up on Lake Erie and I'm very comfortable but not stupid with the sounds of the currents and ice chunks it's enough for me to back off. But I really want to get out there soon so if anyone could guide me in the direction to a well experienced guide out in that area I would really appreciate it. And thanks again for the help, Most likely you have just saved us our boat and more so thanks again.

Chris.

Try Paul Castelano from Cast Adventures; literally one of the best guides around. Been out with him a couple times and was blown away by some of his skills & knowledge.

www.castadventures.ca

Another great one is Frank DiMarcantonio; last time I was down there, Frank's clients were smashing them one after the other, while most were just picking off one here and there.

www.niagarasportfishing.ca

As stated, you definitely don't want to drop your boat in that river (upper or lower) without being 100% confident in your boat, your equipment and your own set of skills. It is a different style of fishing than anything I've done before, and a guide will help chop down a very steep learning curve.

Best of luck out there and be careful.

Darcy

On a side note, did anyone else notice Paul's 2 pics in this years BPS master catalog? Good job man!

Edited by darcyheitzner

x5 on Paul good.gif

He'll take you out in all kinds of weather rain, sun, snow, he doesn't care. I had booked just before christmas and he had to cancel twice because the water wasn't clear enough for him. He cares THAT much. I think we went 16 for 30 that day. was worth the cash!!!!

166804_482185276236_516216236_6442308_1021320_n.jpg