Camp Missanabie/Northern Walleye Lodge

asdve23rveavwa

Wondering if anybody on the board has been? Looking to book a week with the family in late August.

How's the fishing? Three young boys (12 and 11 year old twins) so fairly steady action, be it pike/bass or walleye, would help.

How are the cabins?

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup_anim:

Wondering if anybody on the board has been? Looking to book a week with the family in late August.

How's the fishing? Three young boys (12 and 11 year old twins) so fairly steady action, be it pike/bass or walleye, would help.

How are the cabins?

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup_anim:

Frank, seriously stay away from Dog Lake, there's far better options in that area.

Ray's Camp located off the Sultan road has good walleye fishing:

http://www.rayscamps.com/

Happy Day Lodge on Windermere lake imo would be better than Dog. Large, very beautiful lake, great camp, AND if you can find the humps and fish a worm harness and bouncer, you'll catch lots of fish in the summer.

http://www.happydaylodge.com/

Five Mile Lake lodge in Chapleau area has an ATV accessable outpost on Wenebegon lake, a large beautiful lake with great walleye fishing. Basically a fly in type experience at a fraction of the cost. They'll take you and your family in on atv's as part of the package price.

http://www.fivemilelake.com/chapleau-outpost-camps.htm

Along the same lines, Kanipahow Resort in Chapleau area has a really nice outpost on Embarass lake. Starting this year it's now road accessable (used to be fly in) and his guests have exclusive access.

http://www.midnorthflyincamps.com/ontario-fly-in-walleye-fishing-outpost-camp.htm

If you're willing to expand your horizons and consider a much further drive, but INFINITELY better fishing, take a look at O'sullivan's Rainbow on O'sullivan lake north of Nakina:

http://osullivansrainbow.com/

I'm bringing my wife and two kids aged 4 and 7 to another lake just north of O'sullivan this July.

Main priority for me is getting the kids into oodles of walleye and that'll be the best bet. :)

Have fun planning.

Can yo uexpand on why? Have you beeen?

Sure. A few years back when I was in the market for property up north there was a huge waterfront parcel of land for sale on Dog.

I hauled the boat up there to look at the property and camped and fished for a few days.

On the plus side it's a large beautiful lake.

On the downside the fishing was a bit tough.

There is plenty of fish to catch, but they're not falling in your boat and you generally have to work for them.

I did a huge amount of research on this lake back then. There's a surprisingly large amount of feedback on this lake on a variety of websites.

The general concensus was exactly what I encountered: Nice lake, but tough fishing.

Five Mile Lake lodge in Chapleau area has an ATV accessable outpost on Wenebegon lake, a large beautiful lake with great walleye fishing. Basically a fly in type experience at a fraction of the cost. They'll take you and your family in on atv's as part of the package price.

http://www.fivemilelake.com/chapleau-outpost-camps.htm

This is all Wenebegon!

050-1.jpg

025.jpg

033.jpg

ATV ride in

Ive also stayed at Five Mile. Never in a cabin but pitched a tent there before. Fishing was ok....I'd talk to Mike (I think thats his name....dude with really long hair) the owner and he will give you directions to some great pike fishing....I took his advice and we had a fantastic day on a lake that might be fished only a few times a year...

TDunn

This is all Wenebegon!

050-1.jpg

025.jpg

033.jpg

ATV ride in

Ive also stayed at Five Mile. Never in a cabin but pitched a tent there before. Fishing was ok....I'd talk to Mike (I think thats his name....dude with really long hair) the owner and he will give you directions to some great pike fishing....I took his advice and we had a fantastic day on a lake that might be fished only a few times a year...

TDunn

That's awesome dude. One of my favourite lakes (guess the secrets out now :) )

That's awesome dude. One of my favourite lakes (guess the secrets out now :) )

Haha ya I guess so but for some reason Im not to worried....

Frankie I could also hook you up with these guys.

Great friends of mine and Ive been up there twice.

Amazing action!

www.ontarionorthfishing.com

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

• 1 month later...

I am going to Dog Lake in June. Price is right as we have a free place to stay so we are going to give it a try. We have some insider information so I am hoping we can do ok. The people we know that fish there do pretty well in June at least.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Haha ya I guess so but for some reason Im not to worried....

Frankie I could also hook you up with these guys.

Great friends of mine and Ive been up there twice.

Amazing action!

www.ontarionorthfishing.com

TDunn

Just to add a point, I haven't been to their lodge, but the fellas who operate it were world class guides featured in various fishing media before they started their own outfitter...i'd like to see a few OFC'ers make their way up there!

Just to add a point, I haven't been to their lodge, but the fellas who operate it were world class guides featured in various fishing media before they started their own outfitter...i'd like to see a few OFC'ers make their way up there!

Funny, I somehow missed the last few replies to this. Thanks, all. After contacting a few people via PM's and phone calls...we decided on Happy Day lodge. The cabins were booked for the week we wanted, no surprise with the amount of repeat business they get. We did however book a campsite for six nights, which will give us five full days up there to enjoy the fishing, as well as the other family activities they provide.

Juli, the boys, and I are really looking forward to it, and, since we camp every other year...the lack of cabin availability wasn't too much of a concern...maybe cabins next year. :Gonefishing:

Frankie, I hope your choice is a good one. I am heading up to Happy Day the first week of August with my 8 and 11 year old boys. I have never been to the area so don't have much to add but from what I could gather online it looks like a great place. I am pretty green at Canadian fishing but will pass along any info if my vacation is before yours.

Edited by hoosier

I am sure you will be happy with your choice. I was up at Happy Day Lodge the 1st week of June last year and found both the camp and owners to be A+. Very nice people (Bob and Sondra) and they go out of their way to make your vacation the best it can be.

As Mike stated it is a big body of water but after the 1st couple of days it wasn't to difficult to located fish and we did just fine granted not to many big walleye with most being in the 13" - 18" class and skinny for the most part. We found mornings fairly slow paced but the evening bite was excellent for the last hour before sunset then they would turn off completely.

I received an e-mail from the camp on the weekend and they just completed the purchase of Prairie Bee Camp to the south of them and will run both camps starting this year.

I will return again this year the 1st week of July and I am excited already just writing about it.

The last time I was at Happy Days was back in 1987. We had been regular customers for over 10 years. The fishing was always great and from what I have heard it still is. The only reason I am not still a regular customer is because I now live on Pigeon Lake and just kind of walk out my back door and go fishing.....

You will not be disappointed.

Tom.

The last time I was at Happy Days was back in 1987. We had been regular customers for over 10 years. The fishing was always great and from what I have heard it still is. The only reason I am not still a regular customer is because I now live on Pigeon Lake and just kind of walk out my back door and go fishing.....

You will not be disappointed.

Tom.

Mike stated it is a big body of water but after the 1st couple of days it wasn't to difficult to located fish and we did just fine granted not to many big walleye with most being in the 13" - 18" class and skinny for the most part. We found mornings fairly slow paced but the evening bite was excellent for the last hour before sunset then they would turn off completely.

An evening bite works out well anyways...the kids can sleep in a bit. Plan on targetting smallies with them for the most part...nothing beats a bunch of smallies on spinning gear. Then hit the walleyes in the evening.

For me, earlier mornings...pike, walleye, topwater bass.

Love the fact that they have a bunch of family oriented activities...including free use of canoes, paddleboats, kayaks. Not too mention the games room, with pool table (boys are excited about that one) foosball, etc.

Can't wait for those northern night campfires!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

• 5 years later...

The one thing I hate about message boards is many people believe what they read like it's carved in stone and many use message boards as some sort of revenge to justify their own failure.

Every lake is different with a different structure and different food chain. Every lake requires fishing with different baits and fishing at different depths at different times of the year. Most fisherman are stuck in their ways and use the same techniques they always use without budging and when they don't catch fish on a lake they trash the lake and the lodge they are staying at.

I will give you an example: Me and my buddies camped out on a Walleye lake in North-eastern Ontario for two weeks. The first week was hot and sunny with clear skies all night long. There was also a full moon, which means the Walleyes are feeding all night long and are stuffed by the time morning comes. The first week 11 highly experienced Walleye fisherman managed to catch three Walleyes. Then on the Sunday a thunderstorm came through and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees and it was mostly overcast the rest of the week. The full moon was also gone. The second week on the lake the 11 of us caught over 1500 Walleye, which is about 20 Walleye per day per person.

If we were only there the first week do we say the lake sucks? If we were only there the second week do we say it's a Fantastic Walleye lake? Fishing is always a gamble and developing new skills and techniques is what minimizes that gamble.

I have been to Northern Walleye Lodge (Previously Camp Missanabie - www.campmissanabie.com) twice and both times the Walleye fishing was fantastic. During the day we found spots where we where catching 1, 2 and 3-pounders one after another. At night we trolled along the shore with floating blue-&-silver Rapalas and Thundersticks and caught huge Walleyes in the 25" to 32" range. The first time we where there it took us three days to get the know the lake and find hot spots. Going back the second time we knew the lake well and caught three times as many fish.

Dog Lake:

- Troll along the shore in the 6 to 12 foot of water

- When hitting a point start jigging down around 15 feet deep off the point on the side that the waves are hitting.

- When fishing a weedy area try jigging between the weeds or trolling along the weeds on the outside facing the main lake.

- Don't use artificial scented rubbers. Use unscented or salted baits. Scented baits do not work on most clear Northern Ontario Lakes.

- Save the Walleye gullet and Walleye belly meat when you clean a Walleye and rub the scent on your lures

- In the spring fish the darker water off of sandy beaches and sand bars as that is where they spawn.

- In the spring fish the mouths of feeder streams

- In the summer on a hot sunny day the Walleyes along the shore will be slow so find deeper humps and ridges and drop a hook and sinker down with a minnow or a big fat worm and just let it sit on bottom. Walleyes get very lazy in the afternoon but they will still feed if they don't have to use any effort.

I hope this helps

Gary

www.walleyeheaven.com

Yeah, I live in Northern Quebec (Ontario border) and the whole 'northern fish don't like scented baits' thing is a complete load of crap. I fish a bunch of lakes ranging from gin clear to dark-stained, and Gulp minnows work fantastic absolutely everywhere I've tried them at some point or another. If you know how to properly fish them, you will do well.

Also, this thread is 5 years old.

I'm just curious, what inspired you to post on this old thread Gary?

I kind of just call that whole area the "Chapleau area" and yeah, I know what you're saying, some seemingly odd, local knowledge can make the difference between a banner day and a crap day. It's a weird bunch of elusive fish up there, but they are there. I'd love to fish Dog for a week.

Edited by chris.brock