Caution at BBP

ravinerat

Sorry if you have read this on other boards but I feel it is important. If a sled or ATV hits this at night they won't fare well.

Headed up through BBP on my way out to the main lake today on my sled. The new hut operator at the point has ploughed a road which has flooded. It is 36" deep and 8' wide filled with 2' of water.It is impassable on foot. You can pick it up as you come apon it and he has some sticks but it is not enough. I came to the edge and slowly entered the trough. As my skis came down I broke through the ice and was in two feet of water. My exaust was underwater and water was comming through my nose cone into the belly. I tried several times to climb out but the slick ice under the water and the steep bullet proof banks kept me in. I was worried the sled would stall but kept it running. I ended up driving down the trough to shore breaking 1" ice all the way. Man this thing is a liability. To get around it on sled or ATV you need to travel on the outside of the huts.

DSC00227.jpg

RR

Well it is and it isn't Terry... you have to take your environment into consideration. Is this any different than the plowed roads we deal with on Lake Temagami?? You know they are there and you take the sled throttle into consideration... well some do.. I remember vividly Lloyd making it bank to bank heading for town for gas! :w00t:

Well it is and it isn't Terry... you have to take your environment into consideration. Is this any different than the plowed roads we deal with on Lake Temagami?? You know they are there and you take the sled throttle into consideration... well some do.. I remember vividly Lloyd making it bank to bank heading for town for gas! :w00t:

I can fully agree with you for Temagami, but I would imagine that the surface would be frozen with snow banks on the sides, great big long shuffle board. This thing on Simcoe looks more like a 2 foot deep water slide that the vast majority does not encounter. I'm just hoping nobody gets injured.

Thanks for the heads up Ravinerat. It is a wonder the plow didnt go though. There aint that much ice out there.

Anyone catch the long range forecast? It is going to warm up and stay warm after saturday. I wonder if i can get my boat in that trough before march 15. :Gonefishing: