Laker-fest on Lake Simcoe

pooch

Laker-fest on Lake Simcoe

Blog Entry – Febuary 9th, 2011

I’ve been out on Lake Simcoe four times now and the fishing has been steadily improving (or my skills have gotten better, not sure which). Here’s a video of yesterday’s action:

To catch these fish I have been using two rods (as per Lake Simcoe ice fishing regulations). On one rod is a live bait rig and on another rod I am jigging a Norland Mimic Minnow (Tube/Jig). Some days live bait works best, other times you need a quick moving artificial lure to entice strikes. Most of the action has been in 80-85 feet of water, setting the baits about 1-10 feet off bottom.

If you want to try ice fishing closer to Peterborough don't miss the Bridgenorth Winter Panfish Festival at BEL Rotary Park in Ennismore, on Saturday, February 19th between 10am to 4pm. Cost is free, equipment is provided and there are prizes all day for children. For more information contact [email protected] or (705) 874-0519.

Tight lines,

Andrew

What worked?

- “Ty Rig” a 1/8 oz split shot about eight inches up from a lively shiner and a #12 treble hook

- Norland Mimic Minnow

- Found the most active fish at 84.4 feet of water

Conditions:

- 8” of solid ice

- High of -7 Celsius

- West winds gusting to 35 km/h (felt more like -20 C)

Awesome video thanks for sharing.

My buddy and I went out yesterday afternoon on kempenfelt bay. Setting up the tent in 50km/hr gusts was nearly impossible but we got it. We don't have a flasher and it was our first time ever targeting whitefish. All I got was 2 herring which of course went back down the hole. It was still exciting though to land anything even accident fish. I was mostly using a blue fox jig'n spoon tipped with a pink grub near the bottom.

Hopefully I can meet up with some of you at the Fishing for Tyler event and get some tips.

Nice video -- I have a burning question for you though -- I noticed 3 holes in your hut...one for your jiggin line, one for the flasher, and one for what I assume was your live bait line.

How the heck do you keep your lines from tangling in 85 FOW?? Or am I wrong....and the live bait line was further away?

Good question! I always have two rod holders ready. When I get a fish on, I put one foot on the holder to keep it steady and then crank it in one handed, while holding the other rod with the other hand. Works most of the time. Otherwise it would be a real mess.

Nice video -- I have a burning question for you though -- I noticed 3 holes in your hut...one for your jiggin line, one for the flasher, and one for what I assume was your live bait line.

How the heck do you keep your lines from tangling in 85 FOW?? Or am I wrong....and the live bait line was further away?

That makes sense....but...I can't avoid tangling while I'm jigging....never mind reeling in a fish. You can jig that deep without catching the other line right beside you? HOW?!?! I've tried not moving the jig too much...but even then....I'm catching the other line within 15 minutes. :dunno:

Now I understand. When I'm using 2 lines in a hut, I don't use baits that swim such as jigging raps or darters otherwise I don't do anything too special. Maybe just lucky?

That makes sense....but...I can't avoid tangling while I'm jigging....never mind reeling in a fish. You can jig that deep without catching the other line right beside you? HOW?!?! I've tried not moving the jig too much...but even then....I'm catching the other line within 15 minutes. :dunno:

wicked video!

Hope I can get into at least 1 laker during the fishing for tyler event. No flasher, and no hut as of yet...workin on the hut though! Just curious, how many times did you move locations? Thanks for posting the vid!

Thanks!

My first day out there (10 days ago) we moved around a few times. Finally we found some fish in 80 - 85 ft and it has been producing the last 3 times out. If nothing is biting in an hour of fishing in the hut, I move. If it was warmer out there I'd probably not set-up the hut and move after 30 min of no action. Works for me, hope you get into some. No flasher would be tough for sure. I think a good depth finder is one of the most important pieces of equipment for ice fishing, more so than during the soft water season.

Cheers and good luck!