Ice Fishing for Carp on Rice Lake

Michael_Brown

I have ice fished all over Ontario for almost everything that swims but I had never tried for carp.

After speaking with Jim at Dodd's Rice Lake Hut Rentals earlier this winter he commented that they had been seeing carp around one of the huts he had set up. Being the fine ice hut rental guy that he is, he baited the area with corn for me to try.

First you need a spot known to have wintering carp, Check.

Then you need a big hole. Check

carpsize.jpg

So not knowing anyone who has intentionally targeted carp through the ice, the rest was trial and error. :dunno:

I drilled a boilie and free lined it on bottom alongside the bait corn. Next was sit and wait. While I'm watching and waiting I noticed some perch swimming around and the hut did have two holes...so now it is a combo trip. Of course I'm working a W2 jigging rapala for perch and a 3lb walleye comes flying in and drills it.

walleyerice.jpg

Released in the hole, nice fish but not what I'm looking for.

A few minutes later, I see the weeds move off the the side of the hole, so I drop my jigging rod and grab the boilie rod hoping for a big carp. You guessed it the jigging rod fly's off the seat heading for the hole, I grab it and land a 5lb walleye, released in the hole. Nice fish, it's hard to be disappointed with fat walleye but I'm looking for something bigger.

Now this is not an action game but the rental hut provided by Dodd's is something special. Jim really makes them fancy and lots to look at and read when your not fighting fish. The picture files are too big to load in this post so I will post a follow up with the hut photos.

Around 10:30am I see a nice carp slip by the hole, looks like a culvert with a tail, I wait hoping he comes back but nothing shows. At least they are around. A little later after watching the ever present perch and a small largemouth, I see this big sucker come into the bait. He nose around the boilie but moves off without a hit.

Near noon Jim drop's by with a hot pizza and coffee. Service! :good:

I decided to pack it in around 2pm. No carp but they are around. Now I have fished a long time and this was something completely new. I had a blast even though I didn't catch my target species. Just the thought of hooking a tanker of a carp on a 24inch ice rod, kept me interested. I'm not sure you could control a 30lb carp with that small a rod, possibly even get spooled...sounds like fun to me. I know the shimano reel won't melt down but my forearms might.

The recent snow might restrict access to this hut for a couple of days but if anyone is interested, contact Jim at Dodd's Rice Lake Hut rentals for a chance at something very unique in Ontario ice fishing. Jim's not making any promise's about catching them but they are around. If you go and do manage to catch or even hook one. Let me know, what your using, because I'm pumped to try this again.

Dodd's Rice Lake Hut rentals 905-797-2132.

Also if anyone is interested in perch/crappie action on rice lake. It has been slow the last couple of weeks but things are reportedly picking up out a little deeper than they were catching them earlier in the season. Also you could try BJ Tackle as they are renting huts out from Bewdley as well and they have a well stocked shop and bait. 905-797-2632.

Good Luck and I will keep posting about my ice carp quest in 2011.

Edited by Michael Brown

I have a location were I have seen several carp get hooked up... Mostly on small panfish bugs... My buddy actualy landed one... A healthy 15-20 pounder on 4 pound test... Ice been told in the cold weather you don't want to bait much and your hookbait should be small and spicy! Tabasco... Cyenne pepper... Etc... And if you can't see bottom you should use a very small float to detect strikes... Carp move too slow in tge winter for bolt rigs...

Good luck in your hunt... I'm starting my carp hunt thus weekend...

Thank you very much for the tip. Here's one for you. Try either bread or maggots. You can roll the fresh bread into balls or tear off a piece and pinch one end of it, put the hook through the pinched end. Use a light weight. Good Luck. And yes Tobasco or any other hot sauce is good. Just a dab'll do ya.

Thank you very much for the tip. Here's one for you. Try either bread or maggots. You can roll the fresh bread into balls or tear off a piece and pinch one end of it, put the hook through the pinched end. Use a light weight. Good Luck. And yes Tobasco or any other hot sauce is good. Just a dab'll do ya.

I've never tried for them in the winter time but i doubt that maggots will stay on the hook long enough till a carp come by. It'll turn into a perch fest lol.

lol funny I was kicked off a different board for arguing that carp CAN be targetted through the ice. Dude was so offended that he was wrong (he thought they hibernate! LOL!!) that I was booted. haha, thanks for the proof. I've tried my best to sting 'em thru hard water before but a couple fish on is the best I ever did.

It was $50.00/pp to rent the huts. If needed all rods, tackle and bait are provided.

You don't need a flasher in the shallow hut it was only 7 ft deep and clear. It is like fishing in an aquarium. He might have some electronics if you go out to the deeper huts, I'm not sure. You would have to ask.

Good Luck.

• 6 years later...

Reviving an ancient thread here, that I found searching on google. There's a marsh that I was ice fishing this past winter for Pike, Crappie and White Perch. With some decent success. But I know that there is tons of carp in there. The bay is usually around 6-8ft deep at best, this winter all I could find was about 5ft deep (really low water levels). It's really murky, so sight fishing is a no go. Any one got any ideas on maybe how to target them next winter?