Clam 4600 ice hut

landry

I have a used clam 4600 lined up. It is 75 lbs and just like the clam 2000 (only twice as heavy). It folds into a 48" by 32" by 10" high flat rectangular bed. Does anyone have experience pulling one of these or something similar by hand? I fish on puslinch lake and like the far shore - of course - so the walk is about a kilometre.

I am about 5'8" and fairly fit but will this be okay or a struggle. I saw where some people have made supports with skis - does that help much?

It is 100 bucks - is that a good price seems okay to me??? Opinions.

Will be picking up on Thursday unless I hear that this is too heavy...

Thanks

Landry

I have a used clam 4600 lined up. It is 75 lbs and just like the clam 2000 (only twice as heavy). It folds into a 48" by 32" by 10" high flat rectangular bed. Does anyone have experience pulling one of these or something similar by hand? I fish on puslinch lake and like the far shore - of course - so the walk is about a kilometre.

I am about 5'8" and fairly fit but will this be okay or a struggle. I saw where some people have made supports with skis - does that help much?

It is 100 bucks - is that a good price seems okay to me??? Opinions.

Will be picking up on Thursday unless I hear that this is too heavy...

Thanks

Landry

I have the clam nanook weighs 80 pounds and I put my auger and all my gear and minnows and pull it out on foot, it's not too bad.

i have a clam guide and i load all my gear into it and pull it out no problem. when i have it loaded it prolly weighs over 150lbs. i should invest in the pulling harness to make it a little easier, but just pulling it with the rope by my hands is fine.

You will need to make some sort of sleigh or skis for it or it will be pretty much impossible. Its not like fold over huts with the built in toboggan. Once its folds into the suitcase it can't really be pulled around without damaging it.

I agree with this. It folds in to a suitcase, the floor will get damaged or cracked if you drag it out on it's own especially with more weight on it as it's not intended to be a sled. So if you buy it you'll want to rig it with skis or runners.

I was going to purchase a clam 2000 myself this year but after testing it out I wasn't too impressed and settled on a pop out (Clam Base Camp - love it btw). I also had difficulty taking it down and putting it back up, the poles are a pain in the ass even with 2 people.

$100 is a good price mind you if it's in good condition but a pop out is a lot more convenient if you just get a utility sled that fits it.

I thought they were designed to pull folded up - guess I have to factor in the cost of a home- made sled / ski setup???? Rats.

What does everyone think of this shelter?

Seems like a good price - if it is a good setup.

Should I wait for a 2 man flip over to come up?????? Can those be pulled on foot at 80 lbs???

Sorry for all the questions - but thanks!

Landry

I would love a flip hut but can't justify it - I am not a hardcore ice guy - just want to get my kids out chasing some panfish and pike once a week or so.

I am thinking about building a simple ski sled to strap this hut onto - anyone tried this?

check these out at this site. I don't know how to post pics???

ski sled

Edited by landry