winter camping and ice fishing on big east lake

rfmcrx

Me, my brother and a buddy headed out saturday to big east lake to camp the night in a quincy and do some fishing.

It took us 3 hours to build the quincy. The fish were on, i was catching jumbo perch but no splake!

It was ana awsome experience and great memories. Here are the pics.

camp1.jpg

Very cool, thanks for posting those pic's! (next time use photobucket :) )

I've fished Big East a couple times in softwater and always had to work for our fish.

I've gone winter camping/ice fishing several times N/E of Whitney. There's some excellent lakes there adjacent to the park.

Edited by solopaddler

we slept on a layer of pine branches with a tarp on top of that and some airmatress.then 2 sleeping bages each. It was really warm inside the quincy and i dont knwo the exact temp, but it was cold sunday morning. I would deffinatly do it again, only this time i would leave the water in the cooler. the worst part was getting the gear to site and building the quincy.

we are thinking bout going back to the spot later this winter.

When we took the scouts out, we needed a shelter for 12 to 15 people. Stick frame for a roof with a black tarp on top. Black tarp for floor, overlapped at the ground. Snow piled against the side wall as high as possible to seal the shelter against wind. Straw on the floor to insulate. Got quite comfy in there for 2 nights.

A snow drift quinzy is the way to go if there are only 2-3 people.

Edited by bigugli

• 1 month later...