Air bladder in deep water perch

codered

I just got back from lady simcoe .I started fishing in 25fow for perch butt was slow and only small one so I moved out to 62fow to try for some whitefish.

well no whities butt right away got into some decent sized perch I think the first 4 fish were over 10 the biggest was 13.

I went home with a nice bag for a snack

I did notice that the air bladder of the deep fish were popping out on some of them .

this is from bringing them up to fast from the deep water as I understand.

what do most people do with the small ones that there bladder pops out that are usauly to small for the table???

i am looking for some information

on this any help would be apreaciated..

They need to be fizzed. pierce a tiny hole in the air bladder before you release them or they won't be able to swim back down.

I usually try to reel perch up slowly. They don't havethe ability like a laker to expel the gasses.

this crap goes on Erie all the time, you may try to fizz them if there blowing the blader out the mouth there history keep&clean, part of fish'n deep water perch. Slow retrieve is the only help but it dosn't always work, but thats whats best

Edited by canadadude

What you see is there stomach.

If you immediately release I've never had a problem with floaters. In the boat I've watch perch swim down 20ft never to be seen again.

One time I caught the same fish about 20 minutes later in 56 ft. of water and it swam right back down for the second time. And that makes me reject the theory of survival.