Ice Fishing Rod

4x4bassin

I've got problet the cheapest of the cheap. Its an Ugly Stick and has served me well. You said you dont get out ice fishing much so I wouldnt go crazy with those cadilac rods and save your money for some extra jigs. :canadian:

I just purchased a "Cadillac Rods" a St Croix Legend (the one with the gold plated strike indicator on it) for $50 (rod only). It lasted one day before the end guide, complete with gold plated strike indicator, fell clean off! Note, that's fell off, not broke off.

St Croix service offered to waive the return shipping charge from the service centre, and told me which glue to use if I wanted to glue it back on myself. Big of them eh?

To recap: 100% of the St Croix ice rods that I have purchased have been defective. It has since been returned to the retailer from which it came, and the name St Croix is never to be spoken in our house again.

The Rapala R type rod/reel combo looks like a neat little unit.

Fishing World in Hamilton has a great ice fishing selection if that is close to you.

Good luck!

Jim

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

St Croix service offered to waive the return shipping charge from the service centre, and told me which glue to use if I wanted to glue it back on myself. Big of them eh?

not to negate that they were defective (which is total bull for a 50 dollar rod), but a loose tip top is a pretty minor defect and would take all of 20 seconds to repair. dunno.gif

I bought the "Ice ??" rod at CTC.. handle and three different rod blanks you can slip in. I use the heaviest rod and still use the cheap reel that came with it for Lakers. Hasn't let me down yet! $19.99 Don't see any reason to spend anymore on equipment that takes the abuse of ice rods.

Edited by irishfield

not to negate that they were defective (which is total bull for a 50 dollar rod), but a loose tip top is a pretty minor defect and would take all of 20 seconds to repair. dunno.gif

I am not sure how you can get the point on one hand and completely ignore it on the other.

There was a bin full of rods for $5.00, but I couldn't have one of those 'cause they're not good enough! So I pay 10 times that amount for a name brand, quality rod and it falls to pieces before my eyes a day later (while I was showing it to a buddy). If the rod falls to pieces in any way (regardless of how easy those pieces are to glue back on) it is an epic failure. The quality is all that I was supposed to have paid for!! If nothing else, tell me that you recognize the irony of it.

The only acceptable response from St Croix would have been "We are extremely sorry sir for the trouble we have put you through. We have shipped today, a new rod as well as one for your friend. Please also find enclosed a St Croix toque to keep you warm while you use your new rod, with our compliments. In the mean time rest assured that we are looking into our manufacturing processes to make sure that this problem does not re-occur."

What I got was "Here, Clem, use the crazy glue".

You can spend $50 for a do-it-yourself project if you like, but I will not.

Jim

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I am not sure how you can get the point on one hand and completely ignore it on the other.

as stated, i get the point. you bought a product, and it was defective so the liability should be on st. croix to make you happy. :rofl2:

some people would rather fix the rod and be done with it than wait a few weeks to get a new one! :dunno:

that's all i was getting at!