Shimano Calais 200-5

Gregoire

No idea what the differences are in the newer reels, it was a step or two up in price from the old Curados. Most of the guys I know were quite content with the Curados and didn`t spend the extra money for a Calais.

The Curado isn't even close to the Calais, completely different level of reel. The prices aren't very similar either.

I've got 2 japanese versions of the calais, the Scorpion RH 220 and the AR 200 and they're both as sweet as buttah.

Don't get me wrong; I love the ol green machines but they don't even come close to the performance of a calais.

Still, I'd go with a japanese model of the Curado before I'd ever go with a Calais made in Malaysa..

Calais, all the way. :Gonefishing:

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this reel. I know it is an older version. Just wondering what the differences are between this reel and the new curado and the new calais (not the DC)

Is is the CL200-5? If so then its a great reel. I have the CL200 version and the only difference between the two is the CL200 is a 6.2:1 ratio where the CL200-5 is a 5.0:1 ratio. The CL200-5 would be great for fishing deep diving crankbaits. Overall the Calais reels are the smothest reels you can buy. I have had the CL200, the CL200DC(Digital version) as well as a steez and 2 different cores and the both the calais are hands down the smothest reels. The only downside to these reels are the weight. The CL200-5 is amost 9 oz. However a reel that weight will balance perfect on a 7 foot + glass crankbait rod.

Hope this helps

I should also note that the older Calais reels do not have HEG gearing, so they are not as powerful as the gearing in the new curados, CL200DC and most new shimano reels. Its not really an issue if you are using it to fish reaction baits, but if you are planning to fish bottom baits in heavy cover then you might want a reel with HEG instead.