Can anyone give Dog Lake Advice?

10point

Looking at going to Dog Lake in Missinabie this summer. Have got a connection to a free place to stay so I don't think I can pass it up. I think it is right in the town of Missinabie which I believe is the north part of the lake. Can anyone give me some advice? I haven't been fishing long and I am pretty much a novice. Last year we went to Temagami and did ok catching mostly small mouth. Would like to get into more walleye and northern but will certainly try for small mouth also. Is there a place to get a good map? Not a cheap one but a good one that shows shoals and all that. Feel free to PM me if you would.

Edited by 10point

Oh crap sorry I misread the title :oops:

I thought it said Can anyone give a Dog Lake Advice? My only advice was to be don't call the dogs over when walking on thin ice. I had two golden labs run right up to me yesterday in a freshly frozen wetland and the whole dam area around us dropped when they arrived. The commotion sent them running back to solid ground very quickly :lol:

Sorry I couldn't help with dog lake bud. :(

never been there and haven't heard much about it, but here's a link to a contour map for the lake

http://www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca/no1.htm

I got a couple of maps from them when I went to Temagami and didn't really use them. I bought a map for $25 which I thought was outrageous that was so much better.

Looking at going to Dog Lake in Missinabie this summer. Have got a connection to a free place to stay so I don't think I can pass it up. I think it is right in the town of Missinabie which I believe is the north part of the lake. Can anyone give me some advice? I haven't been fishing long and I am pretty much a novice. Last year we went to Temagami and did ok catching mostly small mouth. Would like to get into more walleye and northern but will certainly try for small mouth also. Is there a place to get a good map? Not a cheap one but a good one that shows shoals and all that. Feel free to PM me if you would.

[/quote

I'm booked into a lodge on Dog Lake the last week of June. Also my first time there. Hopefully I can help a little more when I get back, assuming of course your trip is after that.

[/quote

I'm booked into a lodge on Dog Lake the last week of June. Also my first time there. Hopefully I can help a little more when I get back, assuming of course your trip is after that.

Might be there the same week or week before. Since we don't have to book I am not totally sure.

Last fall I was looking at trying an outfitter on Dog Lake and did a bit of research on its fishability; is that a word; I guess it is too us? LOL

Didn’t find much as in people’s personal experiences; other then mixed vague stories of how well they did or didn’t do.

The one reply which was definitely from a disappointed person’s opinion; is that “there’s a reason it was called Dog Lake”; but I would take that with a grain of salt??? It’s likely no different then any other, new to you lake? It’ll mean time on the water to figure it out and it could take a number of visits to accomplish that; if ever?

As per usual the operators most all said it’s good to excellent fishing. I did have one lodge owner tell me that “the lake can be difficult”; but they would be more then happy to personally show us the “good spots”?

I was also told that if I were interested in trying for lakers, anytime after mid June, to bring my down riggers. I guess there’s a good population of lakers; but they go deep, once the weather turns warm and you’ll need the riggers to get to them; 40-60 feet down over 80 FOW?

I know this isn’t of much help; I’m still interested in giving the lake a try.

But because of a family member’s heath issues; who is also my summer’s fishing trip partner; we’re staying a bit south of there. Quicker to get to hospital if needed and there’s no way I’m leaving my big brother at home.

Not as long as he can hold a fishing rod; frigging cancer.

Temagami here we come; we’ve never fished it before either and like some of the people here have said (jokingly I hope); there aint no fish in there so stay away. LOL

Dan.

Temagami here we come; we’ve never fished it before either and like some of the people here have said (jokingly I hope); there aint no fish in there so stay away. LOLDan.

I went to Temagami last year and stayed at Tamar. If you like fishing for smallmouth I am sure you will do fine. I would probably be going back but since we can stay at a place on Dog Lake for free we are going to try that. We mostly used the bass pro version of the sinko worms on the smallmouth. I didn't catch anything but smallmouth. Between the 3 of us the only thing we caught besides smallmouth were 2 walleyes and 1 northern. Weather was about 20 degrees below normal a couple of days we were there. There were some locations we wanted to get to but couldn't because of the low water last year.

There isn't Dan !!! BUT... from one cancer care giver to another.. if you make it by the dock this summer I'll be sure to point you ( or take you ) in the right direction!

Now that’s an invitation I’d be crazy not to take up on; I’ll look for your plane and make sure the cooler is well stocked. LOL

We’ll be staying at Ket-Chun-Eny Lodge; last week of June (June 25-July1) cabin #1 wherever that is. LOL

If the lady (Jeannie) that I’ve spoken with on the phone is anything like the lodge itself; we should be in good hands.

She has been very accommodating; when we first spoke; she only had the apartment type room above the main lodge. She then called back (days later) saying they had a cancelation for a cottage/cabin and it fit the time frame we have between my brother’s chemo treatments. We had already booked the room and she didn’t need to do that for us.

While talking with her, I asked if it be worth bringing the riggers; well it was like opening flood gates of places to try. Places I have no idea of where she’s talking about; I’ve never been to the lake; other then driving by it on Hwy11.

It sure does make you feel good about going to a place where it seems the people running it still like people.

We’ve all likely gone to places where the operator’s vocabulary begins and ends with a grunt. LOL

Dan.

I spent one night at Dog Lake, about ten years ago... my wife and I decided to just get in the truck, start driving and stop when the urge came up. (so to speak)

We ended up in Wawa and after trying to find any place that had an opening, we were directed to Missinabi and an "outfitter" who could accommodate us.

Let me tell you, the drive from the highway up to Missinabi seems to never end! I would highly suggest that you fill up your gas tank, before you make that turn, as there is little to nothing in Missanabi.

The cottage was more like a shack and as soon as my wife saw it, I knew we would not be there long. Looking out the window, all we could see was the owners laundry hanging on a line, some old rusted out vehicles and a marsh.

I did not fish the lake, but was told by the "outfitter" that it's a big lake and it takes time to find fish.

This probably doesn't help you, but take my advice and be sure that you have plenty of gas and food as there is NOTHING to be bought there, should you need it.

HH