Toronto Boat Show

vance

Well a friend of mine is in the market for his FIRST boat so 3 of us old hands went to the boat show with him. I honestly didn't expect much as he was looking for a 15-17 ft fishing boat and as a rule this is a cruiser type show,BUT at least half the floor space was taken up with exactly what he wanted.We met Henry Nguyen, a fellow OFNer at the Legend booth and spent quite a bit of time trying his patience and found out that he knows his boats.Right now my buddy is in sensory overload with data on boats and motors,as everyone had JUST about what he wanted.

vance

Legend's are not bad but once you upgrade the motor to something more appropriate for the size of boat (Legend is notorious for underpowering their boats), the price starts to look more like a Lund or Crestliner, Princecraft, Alumacraft and the like.

I'm hoping to go with the kids on Saturday morning, my oldest was devastated on the weekend because she was sick and we could not go. It's a great way to kill a day with or without your kids in the middle of winter.

Agreed on the legend front with the motors, make sure you compare apples to apples. And with boats build quality is something that is quantifiable over time. Look at the resale value of a Lund or princecraft over the resale value of a Legend. Its very likely you will not own the boat forever so make sure you have something left thats able to be sold.

I am not knocking Legend btw. This goes for a few other brands, but the above guy mentioned legend. :)

I spent the last three days at the show (for work) and have to agree, LOTS of nice fishing boats and LOTS of very good deals. Crestliner, Lund, G3, Starcraft, Lowe, Sylvan, Princecraft, Glastron, Boston Whaler, Campion, Triumph, Grew, Alumacraft, Legend, Seaswirl, Stanley, Grady-White, Edgewater, Tracker/Nitro and Polar Kraft all have deals.

Quite honestly, one of the best boat shows in years where fishing boats are concerned.

Yes we were at ALL the manufactures sites and talked to some one from each one of them.Its amazing how when you figure everything in how close everyone is in price for similar boats.

Bernie if I had known Mark was there I would have looked for him as we have a mutual friend from Powassan, Kim Lampkin.

Craig where were you working as we probably crossed paths.

vance

Yes I have checked out other fishing boats as well but as it is to be a `family` boat my wife wanted her 2cents in. She had her eyes on more of the fiberglass cruise and ski boats while i was concerned with the fishing aspects. As the legend xcalibers have the nice cushions for up front for her to tan on and the bench in the back as well, that satisfied her enough to be steered away from the fiberglass jobies. I do really like the legend boats as well and will be upgrading to 115hp 4stroke. You get a deal on the upgrade at the boat show as well as a bow mount trolling motor added on. With it being the ideal size (18.5`) i don`t see needing to upgrade or anything for a very very long time.

now i just gotta raise the limit on my line of credit so i can finance it for 4% instead of 7%. B)

Im looking for a little 14 foot boat for going up north anyone see any deals on any

Yes I have checked out other fishing boats as well but as it is to be a `family` boat my wife wanted her 2cents in. She had her eyes on more of the fiberglass cruise and ski boats while i was concerned with the fishing aspects. As the legend xcalibers have the nice cushions for up front for her to tan on and the bench in the back as well, that satisfied her enough to be steered away from the fiberglass jobies. I do really like the legend boats as well and will be upgrading to 115hp 4stroke. You get a deal on the upgrade at the boat show as well as a bow mount trolling motor added on. With it being the ideal size (18.5`) i don`t see needing to upgrade or anything for a very very long time.

now i just gotta raise the limit on my line of credit so i can finance it for 4% instead of 7%. B)

My wife pulled the family boat thing on me when I was looking for my first real boat and of course she got her way, you could count the number of times she was in the boat on one hand and have fingers left over.

No disrespect to Legend but if I was going to spend over 30 grand on a boat it would not be on a Legend if only for re-sale value!

Good luck in your search for your perfect boat!

Yes we were at ALL the manufactures sites and talked to some one from each one of them.Its amazing how when you figure everything in how close everyone is in price for similar boats.

Bernie if I had known Mark was there I would have looked for him as we have a mutual friend from Powassan, Kim Lampkin.

vance

Small world Vance. Kim is a friend of Marks.

vance

All over the show, Vance, looking at everything from tinnies to go-fasts to yachts. The company I work for publishes a bunch of different magazines, including some boat magazines (Boatguide, Boating Business, and the Toronto Boat Show program among them) as well as a TON of brochures for different boat, engine and accessory companies. So as part of my job, I attend boat shows all over North America. Over the next seven weeks I'll be at shows in Toronto (duh), Calgary, Vancouver, Miami, Ottawa and Winnipeg. I may go to the Montreal show too, for a day, since it's the same dates as Ottawa and a very short flight.

Sounds like a pile of fun, but most of that time is spent in meetings with clients (yup, I'm one of the dorks in a suit). The positive is you can sometimes spend an extra day or two and get in some fishing .... as I will when I go to Vancouver and Miami.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie