6-3, That's what I'm talking about

lhousesoccer

What an unbelievable game. Russia scores first, then we tie it up, then back and forth to 3-3. Then we pull ahead 4-3 and never looked back. It's about time we finally get to watch some real hockey on TV, and get away from the NHL for a while. Unfortunately, most of those excellent, young hockey players (on all teams in the WJHC) playing for love of country and sport, will end up being highly-paid pros with that play for love of money, and not much else.

No real super stars on this team. I was alittle diappointed in Roy.Couple of soft goals IMO,although on give aways. Ellis what can you say,kids a great player and well deserving of the Canadian player of the game. And how about tha Hamilton kid. Strong player. Nice to see the first game against another power house. The game againts the cheqs will be another test.

Looking forward to a USA match up. That will rock the house.

Was very entertaining game. FINALY some real hockey to watch.

roy needs to be way better if they want to win gold. Lets hope he can rebound after what I thought was a rough game for him. Other then that I thought they played hard, smart hockey and even though the score board was close until the 3rd i thought the canucks out played them for the most part

Cheers!

roy needs to be way better if they want to win gold. Lets hope he can rebound after what I thought was a rough game for him. Other then that I thought they played hard, smart hockey and even though the score board was close until the 3rd i thought the canucks out played them for the most part

Cheers!

He also needs to work on controlling those jucie rebounds off his pads.Those pads got to be hard man.The puck just zings back off them.

Im thinking that Visentin will get the next start.

No real super stars on this team.

This is true in one aspect. There isn't a "Crosby"-like player on Canada's roster who will carry the team on his shoulders. The irony is that great players are excluded from Canada's world junior team every year. Either you are a phenom, who at 16 or 17 makes the team, or you are 18 or 19 and still playing junior hockey (It's rare for a competing NHL team to release a star rookies for the WJ's). Take a look at the stats for rookies that are tearing up the NHL. Take a guess where they are from :canadian:

On the other hand, this years team has been incorrectly labeled by the media. The TSN reporters described this years Canadian squad as a "blue collar" team, yet forget that this is Canada, the single biggest powerhouse in the game of hockey. Every year, with a "Crosby" or without, Canada will continue to produce a World Junior team that will dominate. Heck, we could probably boat 2 teams... dare I say 3? The blue collar label apparently relates to their physical dominance rather than flare. One thing is for sure, after a team plays Canada, they are physically weaker than before. By the second period of last nights game the Russian team was so bruised they were losing every battle for the puck. It doesn't hurt that 60% of ticket sales for Canadian games are by Canadian fans.

Theres also a few extremely notable players on the Canadian team that I predict will prove their talent in the upcoming games. Look out for Casey Cizikas. Despite distractions outside of the rink, he's an all around player, and last night he was winning every battle and mashing bodies on the forecheck. Sean Couturier will go first overall for a reason, but last night he was pretty quiet. Foligno is a really smart 2 way player with the ability to put the puck in the net from anywhere in of offensive zone.

We'll see what the outcome will be soon, but the American team is favoured in experience only, not talent. Having (I think over 10?) returning gold medalists is critical, but when you break down each player in their draft ranking, Canada is by far superior. Canada has about 60% of it's roster ranked to be drafted in the first round, and roughly 30% in the second round. The American team is reversed, with 30% expected to be first rounder picks, and 60% in the second. Every year that Canada has received a silver medal, they battled back to win gold.

LOL @ the American team losing to RPI (NCAA) in an exhibition game. This is Jerry D'Amigo's former team before the Marlies. Last night was a close one with the Fins also.

I hope they play Visentin...Phoenix's first round pick this year!

I have his Junior Hockey card signed!! I hope he plays and wins gold for them

Have to wait.Announced that Roy will start game two.

Foligno has a great two way game.

Couturier,I agree,he was very quiet.Thought I would of seen and heard more of him.

It's rare for a competing NHL team to release a star rookies for the WJ's

To me this should a no question asked,yes they will be there. After all,it,s suppose to be our best aint it?

Edited by BrianB

To me this should a no question asked,yes they will be there. After all,it,s suppose to be our best aint it?

I agree 100%. On the one hand, owners have huge amounts of money at stake every time their team steps on the ice, but hockey should, and must, be about fan engagement. On the other, nothing prepares the fans to cheer for up coming players more than exposure from the WJHC. I bet if fans really pressured their respective teams to loan out players for these 2 weeks (threatening them with loss of ticket sales), then a culture of support would emerge from management about the World Junior tourney.

There are several eligible players that should be on this team, but aren't allowed to leave their NHL club.

I still argue that Canada should be allowed to submit two teams, but the rest of the hockey world might be a tad embarrassed when Canada I beats Canada II in the final.