Need Help! Can't decide between 2 Spinning Reels

Minnow

Either or. They are both fantastic reels. I picked up a Stradic in January and will probably ene up picking up an Energy Pti sometime during the spring/summer. I have Shimano, Quantum, and Abu reels and don't have anything bad to say about any of them. Get what you like better. Unless you fish every day and/or are really hard on your gear, you should not have any problems with either.

I have several Stradics, 2000 & 4000 . . . . and about to pick up a 6000 . . .

That's a huge reel Photoz, carping i guess? My local shop has 1 in stock and he showed it to me yesterday and i was totally taken back by it's sheer size.... that's when i picked up my Stradic 2500 and compared the 2, looks good for surf and carp fishing tho!!

I personally don't like quantum spinning reels, seem to be alot heavier then shimano and Daiwa... love the baitcasters tho!! So who knows, their upper lines might be lighter (makeslonger days easier for me)

I have the Stradic 2500 and the only thing I don't like is the handle. I prefer the thumb type grip or handle over the bar type (power handle). Seems to me that the 2500 having a power handle is a little too much. More comfortable for me all day using the more thumb grip type handle.

I'm a Quantum guy! I really like the feel of the reel, the sensitivity of the drag etc.. . I've only ever had one Shimano, I don't recall the model, it was years ago. I ended up throwing it in the garbage as the drag system kept loosening on it's own and one day, the spool flew off on a cast! That was it for me! Been buying Quantums' ever since!

I have a Penn spinning reel, but it's pretty heavy. I still have a number of old Mitchells that still work well, but If I was to buy another reel, it would be a Quantum!

HH

The Stradic & Energy are both good reels. I've own & used them all at some point! Daiwa as far as I'm concerned makes the best spinning reels. Do yourself a favour and have a look at the new Daiwa Tierra! They sell for around $129.99 mark phenomenal reel! Unbelievable for the $$$ Eight bearings including CRBB's, Digigear design, Air Bail, Sealed water-proof drag system & Twist-Buster line twist reduction. It also includes a spare aluminum spool! BTW, nobody makes a better drag system than Daiwa!

My 2 cents,

Dave

TDTR2500.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

First off, I'd have to say that Diawa makes the best reels by far. Though it depends on what your going to use it for. Most Diawa reels have low gear ratios. I've noticed when the fish bite is slow. Low gear reels produce more fish.

The Quantum energy is also a decent reel with an average gear ratio. The Stradic has a higher gear ratio and is better for fishing with plastics, tubes, ect.. Its great in situations where you have to pick up alot of slack line fast.

Basically, slow gear ratio gears are better for all around fishing IMO, but for a specific type of application as I mentioned above,the stradic is better.

As far as service? As was mentioned above, Shimano is tops and is local. Diawa? If your reels get damaged? Prepare for long wait times or for expensive replacement parts.

The Stradic is a very nice reel. But for less money, and not much performance difference, the Symmetre is a great reel. Last year I went with Symmetres, because I needed 6 and couldn't afford/justify Stradics. I still own some Stradics, but the Symmetres to me felt just as solid, just as smooth and for the purposes of what I did, totally satisfied my needs. When I need more I will be getting more Symmetres. The green goes better with my boat anyways. :)

I don't think any reel maker nowadays can afford to market junk.

One reel I'd love to see in action is the Doug Hannon WaveCast spinning reel. Seems pretty novel idea and spool design and if it does what they claim (eliminates the twisted line mess that happens at times with spinning reels along with longer casts) then it is well worth giving a try.

Charles

First of all Thank you guys so much for all the feedback by far best fishing site on the internet and it great to be a part of this community, so much info i read every post and was a very hard choice to make but went with the quantum energy pti, I still am tempted to return it for the shimano but I have so many shimano reels and my dad just got the magnesium stradic so i decided to try something new. I also got the quantum energy pti baitcaster last year and loved it, my other two baitcaster's are shimano the castaic, and the curado both amazing reels no complaints. So decided to try out their spinning reel even though I am still a shimano kind of guy. BTW I have never really known about diawa reels and did some research and they have some high quality reels, thanks David Chong for the insider info! Only problem is the only place that carries them is BPS in the states and I will probably order one online this summer, unless someone can tell me where I can get one here in Canada. I will test out the quantum and let you guys know how it does. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Tight Lines

Kirill aka Minnow

Looks like I got to this thread too late! But here's my 2 cents anyways

I'll never buy a reel that isnt a shimano. I broke the anti-reverse out of a diawa baitcaster many moons ago. called california and they said they didnt have a parts department, they'd transfer me to SALES!!!! haha

It would appear from previous posts that they do indeed have a parts department now. that's good.

Other reels may be better choices for certain types of fishing. i'm not knocking the Quantum, i've never even seen a picture of one. But I am so impressed with the customer service at shimano, they've won me over forever.

Anyone's reel could outlast your fishing days, but personally I feel better knowing that shimano has my back if anything goes wrong.

Keep us up to date on that quantum....

Edited by Viscount

Hi Minnow,

Daiwa are available thru BPS & Cabela's down in the States but I find with most reels that you are better off buying up here! They are available at BPS-Vaughan, LeBaron's, JB's Fishing Depot, Rock'n Reel etc. No one can argue with Shimano's service, it is definitely top-notch. Daiwa is working on it's repair issues hopefully there will be an annoucement soon!

Cheers,

Dave