Better Knots

Garry2Rs

Interesting that the best knot for joining 2 lines of smiler size only tested out to 67%. I would be looking for something higher than %80.

I suspect that the results in the first link are mostly for plastic to plastic line.

As a test, I tried the Yucatan using 4# mono to 8# braid. The knot pulled out until I tied it backwards...That is doubling and twisting the braid instead of the mono.

I normally tie a Reverse Albright knot for attaching light leaders of mono or fluoro to braid. Here's a link to the knots that Powerpro recommends for braid.

Check out the extra lock-knot at the bottom of the page.

Powerpro knots

Obviously some knots are harder to master than others, but all knots are just a matter of practice.

Fifty years ago if you could tie the Improved Clinch and the Blood Knot you were King of the Boat...If some guys are still using those knots and are happy, who are we to question their bliss?

On the other hand, most of us learned the Palomar and the Uni when we started using braid. Fluoro leaders are now all the rage, and the Uni to Uni will do the trick. However, by adding the Reverse Albright or the Yucatan to our repertoire, we can make a stronger and smaller line-to-leader knot that will pass through even Micro-Guides.

Edited by garry2rs

They never gave the Alberto(?) knot for braid to fluoro a chance. It's the knot that's almost the same as the albright but you go up and down the line 8 times each. I found that beat the Albright by a lot.

I also use a uni knot that's doubled at the eye a lot. I'll give that guy credit for being innovative, but he doesn't deserve his own name on the knots...If you check his stuff out on some American fishing forums, he still has some tips that are pretty good to more efficiently use the dropshot and wacky rig.

Either way, I've got a whole bunch of knots to learn now. The San Diego jam looks really good, but it also looks amazingly difficult

Edited by EC1

Uni Knot for braids.

For lighter mono I only use two knots. Since I use almaost always 8lb or 6lb mono for all my light stuff, I use the Orvis tippet knot to join a floro leader to my mono of approximatelt the smae diameter. The Orvis knot is for floro or mono to hook, jig. Again all 4,6 or 8lb line.

Last summer the kids and I went fishing every day. Landed a couple 30+ inch walleye and a 47 inck pike, not to mention a load of bass in the 4+lb range. Tons of other smaller fish too. Not one knot failure in over 60 cosequetive days. I also fish every evening at nitefall with these rigs in October and November. I'm convinced that these are the best knots out there period. They are quick and easy to tie.

The two Orvis knots are my go to knots for river steelhead too. Althought they look weird there is no other knot that I have the confidence in as I have in these two.

The other knot mentioned above are very good too, but after 50+ years of fishing I use Orvis knot only for light line fishing.

Muddler

I'm always using mono on my fishing reels and the best knot for me strength wise is the Trilene and Uni.

Now this year made some slip bobber rigs and tied on a snell knot on the hooks which is basically a uni knot tie on the shank of the hook

Snell Knot

This is what I feel confident with :)

Leechman