petition to change the ice fishing regulations in Ontario

GBW

Hey all.

I was reading something Ron James said this morning, so in an effort to help out I made this page.

facebook page

Skeeter, I hope you don't mind but I used an image of your hut... :whistling:

If you have a facebook account please join, like and post. That is if you are all for fixed hut's.

Geoff

Guest gbfisher

I Don't use face book myself. :rolleyes: What are the changes they are petitioning for? Last time I was on the ice with them they couldn't catch a white fish if their life depended on it. All five of them. :D

It was good fishing. I think we put 60 fish through the holes by the end of the day between two of us. :whistling:

Just curious to know what they are petitioning for seeing as they don't really fish that hard themselves. I guess it is easier to have someone else do it for you though eh?!?! :)

Guest gbfisher

so is there a petition on facebook for us to sign and is there info on what changes he wants, so we know if we agree

I doubt this is something he came up with on his own Terry which is why I was curious myself. :D

"Ron James is working with Steve Coombes who is a group leader/technical advisor for the MNR about trying to get to the right people involved to change the law that you can not have a fixed hut out on any of the Kawartha lake until Jan 1st ,only portables. Well my feeling is ,if you can fish on the lake and the season is open you should be allowed a fixed hut out there. Let me know your opinion."

followed up with

"Why should the old guy that is retired freeze everyday while he is out there crappie fishing, doesn't make sense to me."

Guest gbfisher

"Ron James is working with Steve Coombes who is a group leader/technical advisor for the MNR about trying to get to the right people involved to change the law that you can not have a fixed hut out on any of the Kawartha lake until Jan 1st ,only portables. Well my feeling is ,if you can fish on the lake and the season is open you should be allowed a fixed hut out there. Let me know your opinion."

followed up with

"Why should the old guy that is retired freeze everyday while he is out there crappie fishing, doesn't make sense to me."

They do make you take your huts off Simcoe on a certain date. Most lakes as well. The fishing is still open for other fish species besides Lakers and Whitefish.

Guess they are trying to save some lives.

Jan 1 is good if you ask me.. :D

I've seen it to many times where we get the Jan Thaw and people lose their huts and or get stranded out on the ice.

Edited by gbfisher

The regulations don't say you can't have a fixed hut before January 1st....is this a proposed change?

I just re-read the regulations this morning since there was a similar thread on the Kawartha Anglers board.

Here is a quote from Woodsy on the KA site (poted on another site tho)

"Wow, how stupid is that. I just called and talked to the MNR and you're correct, huts can't be out until Jan.1... Dec. is after March 1 and therefore you aren't allowed to put a hut out."

Guest gbfisher

I don't get it either Terry. I just think that this rule needs to be changed.

After all, I will be talking to my dad this weekend to see what his interest is like about making and renting huts on his lake.

If you like your father. You may want to think twice. :D

Even 4 huts can be a ton of work for one person.

I do belive it has to do with ice conditions and safety, more then anything. But I do agree, it should be the choice of the hut owner (operator) to determine when conditions are safe in a year round season.

Edited by GBW

Hey all.

I was reading something Ron James said this morning, so in an effort to help out I made this page.

facebook page

Skeeter, I hope you don't mind but I used an image of your hut... :whistling:

If you have a facebook account please join, like and post. That is if you are all for fixed hut's.

Geoff

Great, not only did you use a hut that is totally recognizable from 5 miles away, but you posted who's hut it is!!

ok im on the phone with my insurance company now adding fire,theft & demolition to the policy!!!! :rofl2:

Great, not only did you use a hut that is totally recognizable from 5 miles away, but you posted who's hut it is!!

ok im on the phone with my insurance company now adding fire,theft & demolition to the policy!!!! :rofl2:

I did block out your number's tho... :whistling:

If this is true no permanent huts would be allowed on any lake till after Jan 1 if there is a hut removal date

Correct. Because December is after the March 1 removal date you must wait till Jan 1. I say if it's safe ice you should be able to do it.