New Panama Canal

Billy Bob

How would you know if the container car is empty....I could tell but that comes with 30 years of experience working on the RR.

Container cars carry usually 4 containers but there are a variety of container cars.....TV or container trains will usually run from 100-120 cars...so that could be 480 containers in one train...15,000 containers divided by 480 in American math equals just over 31 trains...far cry from 60 trains. And somebodies has to keep contributing to my pension... :thumbsup_anim:

It depends on the style of container. Most of the container cars up here are either single or double loads only. I believe Transport Canada has stricter load guidelines. Moot point, regardless. There are no rail lines running from Japan, China, europe, the middle east, etc... to continental North America. To OF's point, this mass container traffic speaks volumes about the loss of the manufacturing industries both in Canada and the States

Moot point, regardless. There are no rail lines running from Japan, China, europe, the middle east, etc... to continental North America.

Moot......err yes and no.....many ships can stop on the west coast and then ship via rail to anywhere in continent....that saves them from going to NY or wherever to unload. I'm sure many are doing this.....

I don't know for sure but I doubt the US Navy would allow any aircraft carriers to cross the Panama Canal even if they could. Anyone have any first class knowledge on this ? ? ?

I don't know for sure but I doubt the US Navy would allow any aircraft carriers to cross the Panama Canal even if they could. Anyone have any first class knowledge on this ? ? ?

I don't know either Billy...or is it Bob ?? :P...but I also doubt very much that the Navy would want a 1/4 mile long carrier stuck mid-continent between locks with all the whaco terrorist types just sitting waiting for such an easy target.

I don't know either Billy...or is it Bob ?? :P...but I also doubt very much that the Navy would want a 1/4 mile long carrier stuck mid-continent between locks with all the whaco terrorist types just sitting waiting for such an easy target.

Sadly it is a risk the USN runs any time they visit a foreign port. It had happened back during one of their middle east interventions. Successfully bombing the USS Cole in the port of Aden in 2000.