laker and white fish

beginner

hi guys and girls, I just have a question regards of how to fish for lakers and white fish at simcoe during ice fishing... Im new to ice fishing and I just bought a vexilar fl18.. so my only problem is..

1. what is the depth of water to fish for them?

2. what bait do I need to use, live or artificial?

3. which part of lake simcoe do I go fishin for them?

any help would be nice.. tyvm

advance Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to everyone!..

Edited by bfishermen

hi guys and girls, I just have a question regards of how to fish for lakers and white fish at simcoe during ice fishing... Im new to ice fishing and I just bought a vexilar fl18.. so my only problem is..

1. what is the depth of water to fish for them?

2. what bait do I need to use, live or artificial?

3. which part of lake simcoe do I go fishin for them?

any help would be nice.. tyvm

advance Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to everyone!..

Hey Bfishermen,

I dont know Simcoe but as far as bait goes, i dont think there is a laker anywhere that wont bite a white 4" salted tube jig.

Whitefish in my experience can be more fussy, it would help to have a variety, mini tube jigs, swedish pimple, williams half/half spoons, badboyz to name a few, dont be afraid to use bigger baits for whities either, last year a buddy of ours was getting them on 4" white tubes too.

I'm sure others will chime in, just a few things there that have worked for me.

ya.. what he said.

I don't targer lakers much on Simcoe, more the whities. I usually get them in the deeper water. 60-100'. They can be caught shallower though. I really only use williams hammared half and halfs, the small size.

A good spot for lakers & whities is straight off of Innisfil Beach Park. Head out to 80'-90' of water.

Good jigs are Williams half & half (J60) in smooth or new wrinkle finish or bad boyz/meegs jigs.

We have had better luck with the larger J60 Williams than the smaller J50's.

Many tip the bad boyz/meegs with small crappie tubes but I've had better luck tipping them with a small minnow, either alive or dead. Insert hook into mouth & out the top behind the head.

Good luck: Rick

Best advice I can tell you is that even if you find fish, if they aren't active move on. I dunno how many times I've been above a giant school of whitefish only for them to barely sniff and not show much interest. It's all about moving until you find a school of active fish.

Guest gbfisher

If you want to learn how to be successful everytime you go out using the vex I suggest you hire Steve Robotham for a day on the ice. Money well spent. He knows his lake trout. Fun stuff.

Just my $0.02

Keep your money and go with the guy who showed him how to do it (Troutguy)....lol

Better yet..Go yourself and learn. or you can read this from an old guy who slays fish. The info is bang on and above all FREE...this info will put fish through the hole everytime garanteed. No bait needed on SImcoe for anything. I never use any and as Jim puts it"very rarely get outfished on whities and decent trout"

:good:

Posted by Grandpa Jim on 2010-12-13 1:05:47pm

Here's something I put together a while back. This applies solely to lakers and whitefish. Many others could better advise you on perch techniques. Hope some of it might be of assistance:

In my opinion the best way to fish Simcoe is with your jig or lure IN CONTACT with the bottom. Keep it simple, all you need is a Williams Ice Jig Half and half hammered #60 and a few Badd Boyz or the clones thereof in fire-tiger or green or chartreuse. I use 15 pound Power Pro with an 8 pound florocarbon leader. 4 lb is too light and if you're new at this I'd recommend a quality monofilament in the 8 pound range. My good fishing buddies all use just mono in the 8 lb range off rods and 10 pounds off the sticks. Don't mean to brag but we very rarely get outfished on whities and decent trout, not the little guys that some are posting. Braid is marvellous but the no stretch factor can result in break offs if your leader material is too light. At the depths you are likely trying you don't need to go micro thin. Why only two lures?? All jigs require a different technique and it is easier to master two proven fish catchers than mess around with several. The Williams works best right on the bottom. Twitch it three or four times so that the jig BARELY lifts from the bottom, give it a sharp lift of six inches to a foot, let it flutter freely back to the bottom allowing it to make definite contact but follow the descending line with your rod tip so you don't impede the fluttering action but you're close enough to detect a take which may be no more than the line stopping prematurely. Trout will grab it on the way down so you want to set the hook immediately. Whities tend to pick it up when you are twitching it on or just off the bottom. So - lift, flutter down, twitch, twitch, twitch, repeat. The Badd Boyz type jigs should be tipped with a 1.5 inch micro tube, preferably in matching or similar colour to the jig. Presentation is quite different to the Williams. Set the jig so it is millimetres from the bottom at rest. Then DROP (not lift) the jig as little as half an inch around five times ensuring it frequently touches the bottom with its' face. Then lift it smoothly six or eight inches, pause for a split second, let it drop back to your original starting position just off bottom and repeat. The cadence is Lift, Drop, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, repeat. Now this is really a precision presentation. Don't expect a jarring hit. Most of the time all you'll notice is the line goes slack when doing the tap, tap routine. Usually this is a whitey sucking in the soft micro tube, lifting it slightly off bottom. SET THE HOOK AS FAST AS YOU CAN! Otherwise the whitey will spit the lure back out. If your timing gets good the whitey will be hooked right in the horn part of the upper lip almost every time. The lift and drop part of this routine is effective on trout. Again the trout may grab the jig as it descends and you'll just notice the line slack without any great indication of a hit. Finally, after setting the hook, do not be in a hurry to get the fish to the hole. Take all the time you can while maintaining a tight line and you'll ice a lot more fish. Hope this helps.